It's true that during winter there's not as much variety in the fruits and veggies available to us, but it's worth checking with your local farmer to see what crops they have. Also, though frozen is not as good as fresh, it is the next best thing, so you can still enjoy organic, fruits and veggies through your local organic store. You can find farmer's markets, organic stores and more in your area by visiting http://www.organicconsumers.org/state/greenbiz.cfm?state=VA&type=biz. And for future reference, here's a "What's Available" guide for some of the popular fruits and vegetables http://www.marylandsbest.net/in_season.php.
The chicken stew, or roasted turkey dish don't have to be compromised, choose farm-raised, organic meats. To find a ranch or farm near you check out http://vagrown.vi.virginia.gov/Default.aspx?category=ORGANIC.
Today, more organic options are available to you than ever before! The Organic Consumers Association and Virginia state are here to provide you with all the resources you need to find the freshest, healthiest, organic food available. Choice gives you, the consumer, the power to make the best decisions when it comes to the food you provide your family with, so take advantage, and make the best of these wonderful resources:
- - Directory of Eco-friendly Products in Virginia http://www.organicconsumers.org/state/greenbiz.cfm?state=VA&type=biz
- - Virginia state Consumer Services Organic Producers http://vagrown.vi.virginia.gov/Default.aspx?category=ORGANIC
- - Sustainable Table http://www.sustainabletable.org/home.php
- - The Eat Well Gujde http://www.eatwellguide.org/i.php?pd=Home
- And much more at http://www.organicconsumers.org/state/VA.cfm.