Organic Consumers Association
Katherine Paul, 207.653.3090
FINLAND, Minn. - Nov. 15, 2012 - The Organic Consumers Association (OCA) today called for a national boycott of the popular natural and organic brands owned by 10 parent companies that donated to defeat Prop 37, the California Right to Know GMO labeling initiative.
The OCA is also calling on other consumer protection groups, and public health, agriculture, natural health, environmental and political groups to urge their members and supporters to participate in the boycott.
"Among the largest bankrollers of the NO on 37 campaign were huge multinational food and beverage companies whose subsidiaries make billions selling popular organic and 'natural' brands," said Ronnie Cummins, Director of the OCA and the Organic Consumers Fund, which donated more than $1 million to the YES on 37 campaign. "It's time to send these companies a message: Either start supporting GMO labeling initiatives, including the upcoming one in Washington State, or consumers will stop buying your products," Cummins said.
Prop 37was narrowly defeated on Nov. 6, thanks to a relentless, deceitful $46-million advertising blitz. Among the food companies that helped to defeat the measure were:
- PepsiCo (Donated $2.5M): Naked Juice, Tostito’s Organic, Tropicana Organic
- Kraft (Donated $2M): Boca Burgers and Back to Nature
- Safeway (Member of Grocery Manufacturers Association, which donated $2M):“O” Organics
- Coca-Cola (Donated $1.7M): Honest Tea, Odwalla
- General Mills (Donated $1.2M): Muir Glen, Cascadian Farm, Larabar
- Con-Agra (Donated $1.2M): Orville Redenbacher’s Organic, Hunt’s Organic, Lightlife, Alexia
- Kellogg’s (Donated $791k): Kashi, Bear Naked, Morningstar Farms, Gardenburger
- Smucker’s (Donated $555k ): R.W. Knudsen, Santa Cruz Organic
- Unilever (Donated $467k): Ben & Jerry’s
- Dean Foods (Donated $254k): Horizon, Silk, White Wave
The Organic Consumers Association (OCA) is an online and grassroots non-profit 501(c)3 public interest organization campaigning for health, justice, and sustainability. The Organic Consumers Fund is a 501(c)4 allied organization of the Organic Consumers Association, focused on grassroots lobbying and legislative action.