Battle In Seattle
See the film!
Inspire 10 Friends to See the Film (and You Might Win Free Chocolate!)
Inspire Others to Take Action
In 1999 YOU helped Organic Consumers Association take a stand for organic food and farming, fair trade, and active democracy when we stopped the World Trade Organization (WTO) from meeting in Seattle.
Tens of thousands of ordinary people like us from around the world-union members, environmental activists, farmers, students, teachers, and nuns-gathered together in an extraordinary alliance to challenge the WTO in Seattle.
We have a historic opportunity THIS MONTH to rally together again to raise awareness of the WTO's failed, poverty-perpetuating and environmentally devastating policies - and how ordinary people can change everything.
The new feature film, "BATTLE IN SEATTLE," starring Andre Benjamin, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Rodriguez, Channing Tatum, and Charlize Theron showcases activists as heroes protecting people and the planet from destruction at the hands of callous corporations.
WE INVITE YOU TO STAND UP TO THE WTO AGAIN TODAY by taking the following steps as we organize around this epic cultural event:
1. SEE THE FILM. Take your friends, your loved ones, your co-workers, your neighbors, and remember what victory looks like for the global environmental and social movement. The film transports you to the heart of the action, and leaves you filled with hope about creating a more just world.
THE FIRST TWO WEEKS IN THE THEATERS ARE CRITICAL! If enough people see the film, it will expand into other cities around the country, bringing its important message to an even larger audience! Order tickets and invite your friends to join you. If the film is not playing in your area use the "DEMAND IT!" widget to bring it to your area.
2. INSPIRE 10 FRIENDS TO SEE THE FILM (AND YOU MIGHT WIN CHOCOLATE!!!). Organize your own outreach campaign by emailing, calling or texting 10 or more of your friends in any of the opening cities (even if you don't live in one, yourself!) and ask them to relive our collective victory against corporate tyranny. Five lucky activists who use this email tool will win a box of Fair Trade chocolate confections!
3. TAKE ACTION. Organic Consumers Association is part of the 5 ACTIONS CAMPAIGN that provides 5 impactful and empowering actions you can take to follow in the footsteps of the activists in Battle in Seattle. Visit www.5actions.com and click on the Fair Trade icon to participate in our Reverse Trick-or-Treating action. (DEADLINES to sign up: groups - Oct 1; individuals - Oct 13!)
4. INSPIRE OTHERS TO TAKE ACTION. Pass out action flyers at the film screenings so audiences who see the film know how they can simply and powerfully take action themselves. Visit this link for details on how to get involved. DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: SEPTEMBER 10.
The film opens September 19 in New York, San Francisco, San Rafael, Seattle, and Minneapolis and September 26 in Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, and Washington DC check the website for new cities being added!
ARE YOU ON FACEBOOK OR MYSPACE? Change your profile photo to the www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/seebattleinseattle/bisposter.jpg! If thousands of us change our profile photos, it will have a huge visual impact on social networking sites and engage exponentially more people in the movement!
- 08/29/14 - New York Times Hosts Panel on Farming, Forgets to Invite Farmers
- 08/28/14 - Vandana Shiva to March with Organic Consumers Association ‘Cook Organic, Not the Planet’ Activists at the People’s Climate March in New York
- 08/28/14 - Hillary Clinton is Just Plain Wrong on GMOs
- 08/28/14 - A Climate for Change: A Solution Conservatives Could Accept
- 08/28/14 - Defang Agriculture
- 08/28/14 - U.N. Draft Report Lists Unchecked Emissions’ Risks
- 08/28/14 - How to Reverse Climate Change through Regenerative Organic Farming and Ranching: A Bibligraphy
- 08/28/14 - Heavy Metal Songs: Contaminated Songbirds Sing the Wrong Tunes
- 08/27/14 - Combating Climate Change through Soil Science
- 08/27/14 - Carbon Sequestration-Holistic Management-Bibliography
- 08/27/14 - Monbiot Rebuttal: Carbon Sequestration through Planned Rotational Grazing
- 08/27/14 - More Crops per Drop: No-till Farming Combats Drought
- 08/27/14 - Secret Internal Document Urging Closure of California Nuclear Plant Revealed
- 08/27/14 - Climate Crisis Connects Us, Climate Justice Demands Unity
- 08/27/14 - Draft of Upcoming IPCC Report Presents Stark View of the Future as Climate Change Rages On
- 08/27/14 - NMSU Researcher's Carbon Sequestration Work Highlighted In "The Soil Will Save Us"
- 08/27/14 - Scientists Discover Hundreds of Methane Leaks Bubbling from the Floor of the Atlantic Ocean
- 08/26/14 - What the Anti-Fracking Movement Brings to the Climate Movement
- 08/26/14 - Community Food Activists Tell Their Stories
- 08/26/14 - Weed Blaster Shows Promise as Alternative to Herbicides
- 08/25/14 - Pollution, World Hunger, Water Scarcity, and Carbon Sequestration
- 08/25/14 - Food as Medicine: How One Hospital Is Using Organic Produce to Help Heal Patients
- 08/23/14 - Why George Monbiot Is Wrong: Grazing Livestock Can Save the World
- 08/22/14 - Kerry Pushes 'Climate-Smart Agriculture'
- 08/20/14 - Kochonomics: Rigging the System at the Local Level
- 08/20/14 - EPA Launches Probe of Alleged Mo. Pollution by Tyson
- 08/20/14 - Is It Possible to Move beyond This Century of Disaster?
- 08/20/14 - An Open Letter to George Monbiot
- 08/20/14 - Bad News for Big Coal: Oregon Rejects Proposed Export Terminal
- 08/19/14 - More Pesticides and Herbicides Coming to Our Food
- 08/17/14 - New GMO Poised for Approval despite Public Outcry
- 08/17/14 - Trees Help Reduce Air Pollution and Your Risk of Dying
- 08/17/14 - Reinventing Our Food System, One Small Farm at a Time
- 08/15/14 - Low Water Gardening - Simple, Easy, and Inexpensive
- 08/15/14 - People’s Climate Mobilisation: A Global Invitation
- 08/15/14 - How to Talk about Climate Change so People Will Listen
- 08/15/14 - Reversing Climate Change: Biodiversity for a Livable Climate
- 08/14/14 - Farming Practices and Climate Change at Root of Toledo Water Pollution
- 08/14/14 - When to Harvest Garden-Fresh Produce
- 08/14/14 - Urban Permaculture for the Balcony and Beyond
- 08/13/14 - Extreme Weather Conditions Doubled over Last Ten Years
- 08/13/14 - You'll Never Guess Which City Is the New King of Urban Gardening
- 08/12/14 - Keystone XL's Climate Impact Worse Than Thought: Study
- 08/11/14 - Farms Are Focus of Studies on Drinking Water Toxin
- 08/11/14 - Top Fracking States Ignore Findings That Their Drinking Water Is at Risk
- 08/11/14 - This Week's Newsletter: Wanted: Celebrity Chef to Promote Monsanto
- 08/10/14 - P.E.I. Residents Using Social Media to Challenge Farm Activity
- 08/07/14 - Global Warming Deniers Grow More Desperate by the Day
- 08/07/14 - Talking Points Regarding Savory: How Organic Farming Can Reverse Global Warming
- 08/06/14 - Regenerative Agriculture: Sowing Health, Sustainability and Climate Stability
- 08/06/14 - The Toxic Algae Are Not Done with Toledo. Not by a Long Stretch.
- 08/06/14 - Fish and Wildlife Service Agrees to Phase-out Genetically Engineered Crops and Ban Bee-Killing Pesticides on National Refuges
- 08/06/14 - EPA Denies Texas’ Emergency Request to Use Dangerous Herbicide on 3 Million Cotton Field Acres
- 08/06/14 - What Happened to the Essential Nutrients in Our Food?
- 08/05/14 - Small Family Farmer Fights Back against Over-Reaching Government Forcing Her off Her Land