Battle In Seattle
See the film!
Inspire 10 Friends to See the Film (and You Might Win Free Chocolate!)
Inspire Others to Take Action
In 1999 YOU helped Organic Consumers Association take a stand for organic food and farming, fair trade, and active democracy when we stopped the World Trade Organization (WTO) from meeting in Seattle.
Tens of thousands of ordinary people like us from around the world-union members, environmental activists, farmers, students, teachers, and nuns-gathered together in an extraordinary alliance to challenge the WTO in Seattle.
We have a historic opportunity THIS MONTH to rally together again to raise awareness of the WTO's failed, poverty-perpetuating and environmentally devastating policies - and how ordinary people can change everything.
The new feature film, "BATTLE IN SEATTLE," starring Andre Benjamin, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Rodriguez, Channing Tatum, and Charlize Theron showcases activists as heroes protecting people and the planet from destruction at the hands of callous corporations.
WE INVITE YOU TO STAND UP TO THE WTO AGAIN TODAY by taking the following steps as we organize around this epic cultural event:
1. SEE THE FILM. Take your friends, your loved ones, your co-workers, your neighbors, and remember what victory looks like for the global environmental and social movement. The film transports you to the heart of the action, and leaves you filled with hope about creating a more just world.
THE FIRST TWO WEEKS IN THE THEATERS ARE CRITICAL! If enough people see the film, it will expand into other cities around the country, bringing its important message to an even larger audience! Order tickets and invite your friends to join you. If the film is not playing in your area use the "DEMAND IT!" widget to bring it to your area.
2. INSPIRE 10 FRIENDS TO SEE THE FILM (AND YOU MIGHT WIN CHOCOLATE!!!). Organize your own outreach campaign by emailing, calling or texting 10 or more of your friends in any of the opening cities (even if you don't live in one, yourself!) and ask them to relive our collective victory against corporate tyranny. Five lucky activists who use this email tool will win a box of Fair Trade chocolate confections!
3. TAKE ACTION. Organic Consumers Association is part of the 5 ACTIONS CAMPAIGN that provides 5 impactful and empowering actions you can take to follow in the footsteps of the activists in Battle in Seattle. Visit www.5actions.com and click on the Fair Trade icon to participate in our Reverse Trick-or-Treating action. (DEADLINES to sign up: groups - Oct 1; individuals - Oct 13!)
4. INSPIRE OTHERS TO TAKE ACTION. Pass out action flyers at the film screenings so audiences who see the film know how they can simply and powerfully take action themselves. Visit this link for details on how to get involved. DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: SEPTEMBER 10.
The film opens September 19 in New York, San Francisco, San Rafael, Seattle, and Minneapolis and September 26 in Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, and Washington DC check the website for new cities being added!
ARE YOU ON FACEBOOK OR MYSPACE? Change your profile photo to the www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/seebattleinseattle/bisposter.jpg! If thousands of us change our profile photos, it will have a huge visual impact on social networking sites and engage exponentially more people in the movement!
- 07/31/14 - What's the Beef with Chicken?
- 07/31/14 - Are Siberia’s Methane Blow-Holes the First Warning Sign of Unstoppable Climate Change?
- 07/30/14 - Midwestern Waters Are Full of Bee-Killing Pesticides
- 07/28/14 - Powerful Insecticide Turns up in Major Midwest Rivers
- 07/28/14 - 10 of the Biggest Threats to Human Existence
- 07/26/14 - Notorious 'Neonics' Pervasive in Midwest Waters: Study
- 07/26/14 - The EPA Dithers While a Popular Pesticide Threatens Ecosystems
- 07/25/14 - How to Raise Your Own Backyard Chicken
- 07/25/14 - Pesticide Linked to Three Generations of Disease: Methoxychlor Causes Epigenetic Changes
- 07/25/14 - Citizen Scientists Track Bee Health and Shed Light on Colony Collapse Disorder
- 07/25/14 - Earth Minute: Anne Petermann on Neonics
- 07/24/14 - Maine Port City's Ban on Crude Exports Prompts Oil Industry Threats
- 07/23/14 - Kochs and Corporations Have Bankrolled American Council on Science and Health Watch
- 07/23/14 - Taking Oil Industry Cue, Environmentalists Drew Emissions Blueprint
- 07/22/14 - Crops of the Past--and the Future
- 07/22/14 - Drier Than the Dust Bowl: Waiting for Relief in Rural America
- 07/21/14 - Land, Irrigation Water, Greenhouse Gas, and Reactive Nitrogen Burdens of Meat, Eggs, and Dairy Production in the United States
- 07/21/14 - Tar Sands Battleground: South Portland, Maine
- 07/21/14 - CA Halts Injection of Fracking Waste, Warning It May Be Contaminating Aquifers
- 07/21/14 - Soil Carbon Sequestration Resources for Farmers, Gardeners, and Consumers
- 07/21/14 - Healthy Breakfast Idea: Spicy Avacado Egg Recipe!
- 07/21/14 - Healing Properties of Blackberries and Raspberries
- 07/21/14 - 3-Ingredient DIY Bug Repellent Spray Recipe
- 07/18/14 - Canada and US Using Trade Talks to Weaken European Union Climate Legislation
- 07/17/14 - Group Representing a Half Billion Christians Divests from Fossil Fuels
- 07/17/14 - After Two Towns Beat the Fracking Industry in a Top State Court, Can Others Follow?
- 07/16/14 - Agrivoltism
- 07/15/14 - Study: Vegetarian Low Meat Diets Can Help Mitigate Climate Change
- 07/15/14 - Next-Gen Urban Farms: 10 Innovative Projects from around the World
- 07/14/14 - This Week's Newsletter: Pollan on Climate, Hillary Loves Monsanto
- 07/14/14 - Agriculture: The Surprising Leading Contributor to Pollution
- 07/14/14 - 'Fracking' Our Food and Farming System: "Extreme Agriculture" and the Politics of Denial
- 07/11/14 - El Niño Triggers Drought, Food Crisis in Nicaragua
- 07/10/14 - How We Made a Garden of Edible Delights: Monoculture to Permaculture
- 07/09/14 - Renewables Boom - $5 Trillion to Be Invested by 2030
- 07/09/14 - Republican Mayor Works to Combat Climate Change and 'Do What's Best for the People'
- 07/09/14 - Autism Risk Higher Near Pesticide-Treated Fields
- 07/08/14 - The 10 Best (and Worst) States to Eat Local
- 07/08/14 - Hope in a Book: Michael Pollan’s Foreword to ‘Grass, Soil, Hope: A Journey through Carbon Country,’ by Courtney White
- 07/07/14 - OCA Asks Consumers to Call Starbucks on Monday, July 7
- 07/03/14 - Agroecology Cools down the Earth
- 07/03/14 - California Ranchers Tackle the Climate Crisis One Pasture at a Time
- 07/03/14 - This Week's Newsletter: Monsanto, Factory Farms, Climate Change and You
- 07/02/14 - Organics and Soil Carbon
- 07/02/14 - We're Fishing the Oceans Dry. It's Time to Reconsider Fish Farms
- 07/02/14 - The Math of Reversing Global Warming: Soil, Carbon, and How Plants Will Save the World
- 06/30/14 - Study Links Pesticide Exposure in Pregnancy to Autism
- 06/30/14 - To Motivate Climate Activists, Use Optimism
- 06/30/14 - First Nations, First Dibs, Says Canada's Supreme Court
- 06/30/14 - World Bank: Tackling Climate Will Grow the Economy
- 06/27/14 - Food Trend: What's behind Miami's Farm-to-Table Craze?
- 06/26/14 - How 'The New DDT' Wreaks Havoc on the Bottom of the Food Chain
- 06/25/14 - The Rise of the 'Super Weed' Around the World
- 06/24/14 - Europe Unleashing Full-Scale Attack on Food Waste
- 06/24/14 - Farming for the Future