Battle In Seattle
See the film!
Inspire 10 Friends to See the Film (and You Might Win Free Chocolate!)
Inspire Others to Take Action
In 1999 YOU helped Organic Consumers Association take a stand for organic food and farming, fair trade, and active democracy when we stopped the World Trade Organization (WTO) from meeting in Seattle.
Tens of thousands of ordinary people like us from around the world-union members, environmental activists, farmers, students, teachers, and nuns-gathered together in an extraordinary alliance to challenge the WTO in Seattle.
We have a historic opportunity THIS MONTH to rally together again to raise awareness of the WTO's failed, poverty-perpetuating and environmentally devastating policies - and how ordinary people can change everything.
The new feature film, "BATTLE IN SEATTLE," starring Andre Benjamin, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Rodriguez, Channing Tatum, and Charlize Theron showcases activists as heroes protecting people and the planet from destruction at the hands of callous corporations.
WE INVITE YOU TO STAND UP TO THE WTO AGAIN TODAY by taking the following steps as we organize around this epic cultural event:
1. SEE THE FILM. Take your friends, your loved ones, your co-workers, your neighbors, and remember what victory looks like for the global environmental and social movement. The film transports you to the heart of the action, and leaves you filled with hope about creating a more just world.
THE FIRST TWO WEEKS IN THE THEATERS ARE CRITICAL! If enough people see the film, it will expand into other cities around the country, bringing its important message to an even larger audience! Order tickets and invite your friends to join you. If the film is not playing in your area use the "DEMAND IT!" widget to bring it to your area.
2. INSPIRE 10 FRIENDS TO SEE THE FILM (AND YOU MIGHT WIN CHOCOLATE!!!). Organize your own outreach campaign by emailing, calling or texting 10 or more of your friends in any of the opening cities (even if you don't live in one, yourself!) and ask them to relive our collective victory against corporate tyranny. Five lucky activists who use this email tool will win a box of Fair Trade chocolate confections!
3. TAKE ACTION. Organic Consumers Association is part of the 5 ACTIONS CAMPAIGN that provides 5 impactful and empowering actions you can take to follow in the footsteps of the activists in Battle in Seattle. Visit www.5actions.com and click on the Fair Trade icon to participate in our Reverse Trick-or-Treating action. (DEADLINES to sign up: groups - Oct 1; individuals - Oct 13!)
4. INSPIRE OTHERS TO TAKE ACTION. Pass out action flyers at the film screenings so audiences who see the film know how they can simply and powerfully take action themselves. Visit this link for details on how to get involved. DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: SEPTEMBER 10.
The film opens September 19 in New York, San Francisco, San Rafael, Seattle, and Minneapolis and September 26 in Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, and Washington DC check the website for new cities being added!
ARE YOU ON FACEBOOK OR MYSPACE? Change your profile photo to the www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/seebattleinseattle/bisposter.jpg! If thousands of us change our profile photos, it will have a huge visual impact on social networking sites and engage exponentially more people in the movement!
- 09/22/14 - This Week's Newsletter: Cook Organic, Not the Planet
- 09/22/14 - Taking a Call for Climate Change to the Streets
- 09/22/14 - Climate Activists Promote Solutions in New York March
- 09/22/14 - This “Zero-Waste” Supermarket Got Rid of All Food Packaging
- 09/22/14 - March Today, Eat a Low-Carbon Diet Tomorrow
- 09/22/14 - Latin America at a Climate Crossroads
- 09/22/14 - The Multiple Benefits of Economic Localization
- 09/22/14 - From Toilet to Table, Overcoming the ‘Yuk’ Factor
- 09/22/14 - The Farmers Should Show up to the Climate March
- 09/19/14 - Take Action: Tell the UN that Small Farmers Cool Planet and Feed the World
- 09/19/14 - Take the 4F ‘Factory Farm Free Friday’ Pledge!
- 09/19/14 - Sea Change: The Ecological Disaster That Nobody Sees
- 09/18/14 - Organic Consumers Kicks Off ‘Factory Farm Free Friday’ Campaign in Advance of UN Climate Summit
- 09/17/14 - The People’s Climate March: Meet the Next Movement of Movements
- 09/16/14 - Regenerative Agriculture: An Annotated Bibliography
- 09/16/14 - China, the Climate and the Fate of the Planet
- 09/16/14 - The Carbon Underground: Reversing Global Warming
- 09/15/14 - How to Make Farm-to-Table a Truly Sustainable Movement
- 09/15/14 - Community Struggles for the Defense of Their Territories
- 09/15/14 - Dark Money Corruption of Democracy Forces Climate Change Direct Action and Mass Mobilization
- 09/15/14 - This Week's Newsletter: We'll Be There. Will You?
- 09/15/14 - Fracking or Drinking Water? That May Become the Choice
- 09/15/14 - Kingpins of Carbon
- 09/15/14 - Pricing Pollution, Cutting Carbon
- 09/14/14 - 'We're Running out of Time': UN Body Says Greenhouse Gas Levels at Record High
- 09/14/14 - Toxic Glyphosate Herbicides Fly under the EU's Regulatory Radar
- 09/14/14 - Kentucky Town Beats High Gas Prices
- 09/12/14 - Safety in Diversity: Adapting to Unpredictable Climate Change
- 09/12/14 - To UN: Small Farms Key to Reversing Climate Change, Feeding World
- 09/12/14 - The Drought Is Destroying California’s Organic Dairy Farms
- 09/12/14 - Domestic Detox: Are Your Candles Toxic?
- 09/11/14 - Fighting Global Warming Will Improve Health of People Everywhere
- 09/11/14 - Groups Slam 'Corporate Takeover' of UN Climate Summit, Call for System Change
- 09/11/14 - Improve Management of Public Lands, Mitigate Climate Change
- 09/10/14 - MA Judge Drops Criminal Charges against Climate Activists
- 09/10/14 - How Hillary Clinton's State Department Sold Fracking to the World
- 09/10/14 - Investigation Shows That Industry Friendly Oversight of GMO Experiments in California Endanger the Public and the Environment
- 09/10/14 - Doctor’s Orders: For Better Health, Put Your Hands in the Dirt
- 09/10/14 - Five Myths of 'Safe' Pesticides
- 09/09/14 - Cities Prepare for Warm Climate without Saying so
- 09/09/14 - The Climate March: Will It Be a Call to Arms for the Earth, or Are More Radical Actions Needed?
- 09/09/14 - Half of North American Bird Species Threatened by Climate Change
- 09/09/14 - Mussels Don't Stick around in Acidic Ocean Water
- 09/08/14 - A Tale of the Herbicide-Free Butterfly Meadow
- 09/08/14 - Guide to Saving Herb Seeds
- 09/08/14 - At Precisely the Worst Moment, Big Oil in America Is Back with a Vengeance
- 09/08/14 - Surviving the Ups and Downs of Social Movements
- 09/08/14 - Canadian Beekeepers Sue Bayer and Syngenta over Neonicotinoid Pesticides
- 09/08/14 - Is This the End of the 'War on Trees'? UN Members Pledge to Restore Woodland and Safeguard Rainforests
- 09/07/14 - Off Grain, onto Grass: An Author Urges Changes in Animal Farming
- 09/07/14 - If You Read Only One Story on Health and Fracking, Read This One
- 09/07/14 - How Home Gardeners Can Change the Local Food System
- 09/07/14 - To Save Family Farms from Corporate Buyout, Retiring Farmers Connect with a New Generation
- 09/05/14 - Time Outdoors Helps Kids Respect and Connect with Nature
- 09/05/14 - Canada Leads World in Forest Decline, Report Says