Battle In Seattle
See the film!
Inspire 10 Friends to See the Film (and You Might Win Free Chocolate!)
Inspire Others to Take Action
In 1999 YOU helped Organic Consumers Association take a stand for organic food and farming, fair trade, and active democracy when we stopped the World Trade Organization (WTO) from meeting in Seattle.
Tens of thousands of ordinary people like us from around the world-union members, environmental activists, farmers, students, teachers, and nuns-gathered together in an extraordinary alliance to challenge the WTO in Seattle.
We have a historic opportunity THIS MONTH to rally together again to raise awareness of the WTO's failed, poverty-perpetuating and environmentally devastating policies - and how ordinary people can change everything.
The new feature film, "BATTLE IN SEATTLE," starring Andre Benjamin, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Rodriguez, Channing Tatum, and Charlize Theron showcases activists as heroes protecting people and the planet from destruction at the hands of callous corporations.
WE INVITE YOU TO STAND UP TO THE WTO AGAIN TODAY by taking the following steps as we organize around this epic cultural event:
1. SEE THE FILM. Take your friends, your loved ones, your co-workers, your neighbors, and remember what victory looks like for the global environmental and social movement. The film transports you to the heart of the action, and leaves you filled with hope about creating a more just world.
THE FIRST TWO WEEKS IN THE THEATERS ARE CRITICAL! If enough people see the film, it will expand into other cities around the country, bringing its important message to an even larger audience! Order tickets and invite your friends to join you. If the film is not playing in your area use the "DEMAND IT!" widget to bring it to your area.
2. INSPIRE 10 FRIENDS TO SEE THE FILM (AND YOU MIGHT WIN CHOCOLATE!!!). Organize your own outreach campaign by emailing, calling or texting 10 or more of your friends in any of the opening cities (even if you don't live in one, yourself!) and ask them to relive our collective victory against corporate tyranny. Five lucky activists who use this email tool will win a box of Fair Trade chocolate confections!
3. TAKE ACTION. Organic Consumers Association is part of the 5 ACTIONS CAMPAIGN that provides 5 impactful and empowering actions you can take to follow in the footsteps of the activists in Battle in Seattle. Visit www.5actions.com and click on the Fair Trade icon to participate in our Reverse Trick-or-Treating action. (DEADLINES to sign up: groups - Oct 1; individuals - Oct 13!)
4. INSPIRE OTHERS TO TAKE ACTION. Pass out action flyers at the film screenings so audiences who see the film know how they can simply and powerfully take action themselves. Visit this link for details on how to get involved. DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: SEPTEMBER 10.
The film opens September 19 in New York, San Francisco, San Rafael, Seattle, and Minneapolis and September 26 in Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, and Washington DC check the website for new cities being added!
ARE YOU ON FACEBOOK OR MYSPACE? Change your profile photo to the www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/seebattleinseattle/bisposter.jpg! If thousands of us change our profile photos, it will have a huge visual impact on social networking sites and engage exponentially more people in the movement!
- 04/17/14 - Plant These 6 Perennial Vegetables Once, and Reap Their Harvest Year after Year
- 04/17/14 - There Are No Human Rights on a Dead Planet
- 04/17/14 - Study Finds Methane Leaks 1,000 Times EPA Estimates during Marcellus Drilling
- 04/17/14 - Redefining Local
- 04/16/14 - Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners—Teaching Generations to Love Mother Earth
- 04/16/14 - Killing of Environmental Activists Rises Globally
- 04/16/14 - EPA Scores Big Win to Limit Mercury in Power Plants
- 04/16/14 - Frances Moore Lappé Interview with Jane Goodall
- 04/15/14 - Permaculture and Climate Change: Interview with Patrick Whitefield
- 04/15/14 - Over 130 Universities Join Student-Designed Startup to Measure Sustainable Food
- 04/15/14 - No Plows, Cows, Sows: FFA Not Your (Grand)Father's Youth Farm Group
- 04/15/14 - Organic Consumers Association Comments on New Study Showing Glyphosate Found in Mothers' Breast Milk
- 04/14/14 - IPCC: The World Must Go Renewable
- 04/14/14 - How to Get a Whole Generation to Sell out
- 04/10/14 - Years of Living Dangerously - a Global Warming Blockbuster
- 04/10/14 - Tell McDonald's: Stop Toxic Pesticide Drift. Require Your Potato Producers to Reduce Pesticide Use
- 04/09/14 - Elizabeth Kolbert: It’s Time to Act on Climate Change
- 04/09/14 - It's Time to Make Your Own Vegetable Garden!
- 04/09/14 - Biochar Doubles Plant Growth
- 04/09/14 - Don't Panic, Go Organic: The IPCC Report Should Be a Wakeup Call for Climate-Smart Food
- 04/09/14 - Public Pressure Tells as Procter & Gamble Finally Agrees to Clean up Its Palm Oil Act
- 04/08/14 - How Big Ag's Chemicals Ruined Indigenous Plants and Eradicated the World's Food Supply
- 04/08/14 - Localism? I Don't Buy It
- 04/08/14 - Call Climate Change What It Is: Violence
- 04/08/14 - Dear Humanity, Time Is Running Out
- 04/08/14 - Our Year of Extremes: Did Climate Change Just Hit Home?
- 04/08/14 - Human Urine May Represent the Future of Fertilizer
- 04/07/14 - The No-Guilt, Delicious Salmon of the Future
- 04/07/14 - Mothers vs. Climate Change
- 04/07/14 - Plan Bee: As Honeybees Die out, Will Other Species Take Their Place?
- 04/07/14 - Who's Leading on Climate Action Pledges? A Calculator Reveals All
- 04/07/14 - How Green Is the Internet? Greenpeace Ranks the Big Online Players from Best to Worst
- 04/07/14 - Jane Goodall on New Gardens for a Changing World
- 04/07/14 - World's Number One Herbicide Found in Mother's Breast Milk
- 04/04/14 - Should Sustainability be a Requirement of Non-GMO Farming?
- 04/03/14 - Plowed Under: Destroying Carbon-Sequestering Prairie Grasslands for GMO Crops and Ethonol
- 04/03/14 - Cities Waffle on Incinerator Proposals
- 04/03/14 - UN Report Says Climate Change Will Threaten Food Production Worldwide
- 04/03/14 - House Passes Bill Requiring Agencies to Put Climate Change on the Back Burner
- 04/03/14 - Train Station Rooftop Farms Let Commuters Grow Fruits and Veggies on the Go
- 04/02/14 - Congress to EPA: Investigate and Address Water Contamination from Fracking
- 04/02/14 - IPCC Delegates Dodge Geoengineering Bullet Point
- 04/02/14 - Is the Latest Climate Report Too Much of a Downer?
- 03/31/14 - The Hellish Monotony of 25 Years of IPCC Climate Change Warnings
- 03/31/14 - Springs Eternal: Hopes against Collapse, Hopes for Consuming
- 03/31/14 - The Joy and Resolve of a Movement Built on Creative Resistance
- 03/29/14 - Elegy for a Country's Seasons
- 03/28/14 - Protecting the Pollinators
- 03/28/14 - Fracking the USA: New Map Shows 1 Million Oil, Gas Wells
- 03/27/14 - A Few Significant Steps on Climate Change
- 03/27/14 - Senate Endorses Bill to Allow Health Department to Regulate Toxic Chemicals
- 03/26/14 - Women Ecowarriors
- 03/25/14 - No-Bake Energy Bites Recipe
- 03/25/14 - Biointensive Guide to Intensive Planting
- 03/25/14 - Ride-Sharing Could Cut Taxi Trips by 40 Percent in NYC, Analysis Shows