Battle In Seattle
See the film!
Inspire 10 Friends to See the Film (and You Might Win Free Chocolate!)
Inspire Others to Take Action
In 1999 YOU helped Organic Consumers Association take a stand for organic food and farming, fair trade, and active democracy when we stopped the World Trade Organization (WTO) from meeting in Seattle.
Tens of thousands of ordinary people like us from around the world-union members, environmental activists, farmers, students, teachers, and nuns-gathered together in an extraordinary alliance to challenge the WTO in Seattle.
We have a historic opportunity THIS MONTH to rally together again to raise awareness of the WTO's failed, poverty-perpetuating and environmentally devastating policies - and how ordinary people can change everything.
The new feature film, "BATTLE IN SEATTLE," starring Andre Benjamin, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Rodriguez, Channing Tatum, and Charlize Theron showcases activists as heroes protecting people and the planet from destruction at the hands of callous corporations.
WE INVITE YOU TO STAND UP TO THE WTO AGAIN TODAY by taking the following steps as we organize around this epic cultural event:
1. SEE THE FILM. Take your friends, your loved ones, your co-workers, your neighbors, and remember what victory looks like for the global environmental and social movement. The film transports you to the heart of the action, and leaves you filled with hope about creating a more just world.
THE FIRST TWO WEEKS IN THE THEATERS ARE CRITICAL! If enough people see the film, it will expand into other cities around the country, bringing its important message to an even larger audience! Order tickets and invite your friends to join you. If the film is not playing in your area use the "DEMAND IT!" widget to bring it to your area.
2. INSPIRE 10 FRIENDS TO SEE THE FILM (AND YOU MIGHT WIN CHOCOLATE!!!). Organize your own outreach campaign by emailing, calling or texting 10 or more of your friends in any of the opening cities (even if you don't live in one, yourself!) and ask them to relive our collective victory against corporate tyranny. Five lucky activists who use this email tool will win a box of Fair Trade chocolate confections!
3. TAKE ACTION. Organic Consumers Association is part of the 5 ACTIONS CAMPAIGN that provides 5 impactful and empowering actions you can take to follow in the footsteps of the activists in Battle in Seattle. Visit www.5actions.com and click on the Fair Trade icon to participate in our Reverse Trick-or-Treating action. (DEADLINES to sign up: groups - Oct 1; individuals - Oct 13!)
4. INSPIRE OTHERS TO TAKE ACTION. Pass out action flyers at the film screenings so audiences who see the film know how they can simply and powerfully take action themselves. Visit this link for details on how to get involved. DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: SEPTEMBER 10.
The film opens September 19 in New York, San Francisco, San Rafael, Seattle, and Minneapolis and September 26 in Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, and Washington DC check the website for new cities being added!
ARE YOU ON FACEBOOK OR MYSPACE? Change your profile photo to the www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/seebattleinseattle/bisposter.jpg! If thousands of us change our profile photos, it will have a huge visual impact on social networking sites and engage exponentially more people in the movement!
- 05/22/13 - You Need Phosphorous to Live-and We're Running Out
- 05/21/13 - Rise Up or Die
- 05/21/13 - Geoengineering: Can We Save the Planet by Messing with Nature?
- 05/21/13 - For Climate Solution, Look to the Ground
- 05/21/13 - What Comes After Hope
- 05/21/13 - Enabling Greed Makes US Sick
- 05/20/13 - Chiefs Declare Keystone XL Consultation Meeting Invalid, Walk Out on State Department Officials
- 05/20/13 - Farm Bill Fiasco: What Next for the Food Movement?
- 05/17/13 - Climate Change is Happening...So What?
- 05/17/13 - Food, Farms, Forests and Fracking: Connecting the Dots
- 05/16/13 - Tell EPA You Want Lower, Not Higher Limits on Monsanto's Roundup!
- 05/15/13 - Eating As Though the Environment Mattered
- 05/15/13 - Governance in the Long Emergency
- 05/15/13 - BLM Postpones Oil, Gas Lease Auctions in Calif.
- 05/15/13 - EPA Approves New Pesticide Highly Toxic to Bees
- 05/14/13 - Grassroots Campaigns Can Stop Fracking One Town at a Time
- 05/13/13 - How Mussel Farming Could Help to Clean Fouled Waters
- 05/13/13 - 400 Parts Per Million: Climate Milestone is a Moment of Symbolic Significance on Road of Idiocy
- 05/11/13 - Hidden Power Grab Stops Communities From Deciding Their Own Futures
- 05/11/13 - Goodbye Nuclear Power: Germany's Renewable Energy Revolution
- 05/11/13 - Greenhouse Gas Milestone; CO2 Levels Set Record
- 05/11/13 - Energy Efficiency in the Food Sector: Processing
- 05/10/13 - Indigenous Resistance Grows Strong in Keystone XL Battle
- 05/10/13 - Climate Chaos: Boycott Genetically Engineered and Factory-Farmed Foods
- 05/09/13 - Trade Group Offers Free Sewage Sludge "Compost" to Community Gardens in "Million Tomato Campaign" for Food Banks
- 05/09/13 - Hydroponic Sprouts Hyped as Animal Feed
- 05/09/13 - Are We Doomed to Food Insecurity?
- 05/08/13 - 99 One-Liners That Rebut Climate Change Denier Talking Points
- 05/08/13 - 2% Solutions:Carbon Mitigation
- 05/07/13 - 5 Critical Actions Obama Needs to Take Right Now to Avert Massive Climate Disruption
- 05/07/13 - Weird Wintry Weather and the Climate-Change Link
- 05/07/13 - Climate Collision Course: CO2 Levels About to Hit 400 PPM
- 05/06/13 - Transforming Neighborhoods Through Guerrilla Gardening
- 05/06/13 - The High Price of Our Fertilizer Addiction
- 05/06/13 - Huge Triumph for NY Towns Fighting Fracking's Risks
- 05/04/13 - Arguing for Our Lives: A User's Guide to Constructive Dialogue
- 05/03/13 - Fracking Ourselves to Death in Pennsylvania
- 05/01/13 - Another Government Is Necessary: The People Can Rule Better Than the Elites
- 05/01/13 - Save the Birds and Bees: Don't Let the EPA Approve Another Toxic Insecticide
- 04/30/13 - 2% Solutions
- 04/27/13 - 'We Speak for the Bees': Marchers Urge EU-Wide Ban of Killer Pesticides
- 04/27/13 - Fracking's Latest Scandal? Earthquake Swarms
- 04/26/13 - Reduce, Reuse, Rebrand? Coca-Cola and Chicago Team Up to Greenwash
- 04/26/13 - The So-Called Progressive Movement is a Fraud
- 04/25/13 - Are People Living Near Fracking Sites Getting Sick?
- 04/24/13 - Newly Released Tim DeChristopher Finds a Movement Transformed by His Courage
- 04/24/13 - Nestle CEO: Water is Not a Human Right, Should be Privatized
- 04/22/13 - Ask Umbra: Watts up with Lightbulbs?
- 04/22/13 - A Tale of Two Earth Day Heroes: Tim DeChristopher and Sandra Steingraber
- 04/22/13 - The Rule of Law in Times of Ecological Collapse
- 04/22/13 - Resource Shock: How Resource Scarcity and Climate Change Could Produce a Global Explosion
- 04/22/13 - Small Farms Fight Back: Food and Community Self-Governance
- 04/22/13 - Ripe for Change: The California Farming Method
- 04/22/13 - Can Large-Scale Environmental Devastation Ever Be Reversed?
- 04/18/13 - The Accelerating Climate Crisis: Tweak or Transformation?