Battle In Seattle
See the film!
Inspire 10 Friends to See the Film (and You Might Win Free Chocolate!)
Inspire Others to Take Action
In 1999 YOU helped Organic Consumers Association take a stand for organic food and farming, fair trade, and active democracy when we stopped the World Trade Organization (WTO) from meeting in Seattle.
Tens of thousands of ordinary people like us from around the world-union members, environmental activists, farmers, students, teachers, and nuns-gathered together in an extraordinary alliance to challenge the WTO in Seattle.
We have a historic opportunity THIS MONTH to rally together again to raise awareness of the WTO's failed, poverty-perpetuating and environmentally devastating policies - and how ordinary people can change everything.
The new feature film, "BATTLE IN SEATTLE," starring Andre Benjamin, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Rodriguez, Channing Tatum, and Charlize Theron showcases activists as heroes protecting people and the planet from destruction at the hands of callous corporations.
WE INVITE YOU TO STAND UP TO THE WTO AGAIN TODAY by taking the following steps as we organize around this epic cultural event:
1. SEE THE FILM. Take your friends, your loved ones, your co-workers, your neighbors, and remember what victory looks like for the global environmental and social movement. The film transports you to the heart of the action, and leaves you filled with hope about creating a more just world.
THE FIRST TWO WEEKS IN THE THEATERS ARE CRITICAL! If enough people see the film, it will expand into other cities around the country, bringing its important message to an even larger audience! Order tickets and invite your friends to join you. If the film is not playing in your area use the "DEMAND IT!" widget to bring it to your area.
2. INSPIRE 10 FRIENDS TO SEE THE FILM (AND YOU MIGHT WIN CHOCOLATE!!!). Organize your own outreach campaign by emailing, calling or texting 10 or more of your friends in any of the opening cities (even if you don't live in one, yourself!) and ask them to relive our collective victory against corporate tyranny. Five lucky activists who use this email tool will win a box of Fair Trade chocolate confections!
3. TAKE ACTION. Organic Consumers Association is part of the 5 ACTIONS CAMPAIGN that provides 5 impactful and empowering actions you can take to follow in the footsteps of the activists in Battle in Seattle. Visit www.5actions.com and click on the Fair Trade icon to participate in our Reverse Trick-or-Treating action. (DEADLINES to sign up: groups - Oct 1; individuals - Oct 13!)
4. INSPIRE OTHERS TO TAKE ACTION. Pass out action flyers at the film screenings so audiences who see the film know how they can simply and powerfully take action themselves. Visit this link for details on how to get involved. DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: SEPTEMBER 10.
The film opens September 19 in New York, San Francisco, San Rafael, Seattle, and Minneapolis and September 26 in Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, and Washington DC check the website for new cities being added!
ARE YOU ON FACEBOOK OR MYSPACE? Change your profile photo to the www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/seebattleinseattle/bisposter.jpg! If thousands of us change our profile photos, it will have a huge visual impact on social networking sites and engage exponentially more people in the movement!
- 10/20/14 - How Organic Agriculture Can Reverse Global Warming: A Sprinkle of Compost Helps Rangeland Lock up Carbon
- 10/20/14 - Scientists Refute Lower Emissions Claim for Fracking
- 10/20/14 - EPA: Pesticides Linked to Bee Deaths Don't Protect Soybean Crops
- 10/20/14 - Climate Campaigners Ramp up Pressure on Fossil Fuel Industry
- 10/20/14 - Renewables Can Supply 100% of World's Power by 2050
- 10/17/14 - CFS in Rome: The Majority of Governments Remain Blind to the Challenges of Global Food Security
- 10/16/14 - This Week's Newsletter: Taking Down Monsanto. And While We're At It, Dow Too.
- 10/16/14 - Green Group Sues EPA Over New Weed Killer Approval
- 10/15/14 - Failing Humans and Planet, EPA Greenlights 'Agent Orange' Herbicide
- 10/15/14 - Roar II
- 10/15/14 - Fracking Company's Pink Drill Bits Spark Outrage
- 10/15/14 - Organic Consumers Condemns EPA Approval of Dow Enlist Duo Herbicide
- 10/14/14 - Regenerative Agriculture Is the Answer to Save Your Health
- 10/14/14 - EPA's Next Target -- American Dentists Who Are Mercury Polluters
- 10/14/14 - Documents Reveal Billions of Gallons of Oil Industry Wastewater Illegally Injected into Central California Aquifers
- 10/13/14 - Family Farmers Don't Need Climate-Smart Agriculture
- 10/13/14 - How Plants Communicate with Others
- 10/13/14 - Republicans Flail about Looking for Alternative to Climate Denialism
- 10/10/14 - Climate Change and Deforestation Will Not Be Solved with a Trick
- 10/10/14 - The Solution Is the Soil: How Organic Farming Can Feed the World and Save the Planet
- 10/09/14 - Real Solutions from Agriculture at the People's Climate March
- 10/09/14 - An Embarrassment for Both Yale University and the New York Times
- 10/08/14 - Experts Agree: Organic Farming Is Revolutionary
- 10/08/14 - Why Lots Of Grass-Fed Beef Sold In U.S. Comes From Down Under
- 10/08/14 - Take the 4F ‘Factory Farm Free Friday’ Pledge!
- 10/07/14 - Two for One: Subsidies Help Food Stamp Recipients Buy Fresh Food
- 10/07/14 - Monsanto's Roundup Linked to Cancer - Again
- 10/06/14 - Fish Failing to Adapt to Rising Carbon Dioxide Levels in Ocean
- 10/06/14 - Oceans Getting Hotter Than Anybody Realized
- 10/06/14 - Wood Chips: The Secret to Inexpensive High-Performance Gardening
- 10/06/14 - 'Symphony of the Soil' Extols the Importance and Mystery of Soil
- 10/06/14 - Part 2: Kumi Naidoo of Greenpeace on Climate Change and War, Lessons from Anti-Apartheid Struggle
- 10/03/14 - New Report: Illegal Land Clearing for Commercial Agriculture Responsible for Half of Tropical Deforestation
- 10/03/14 - 'Walk for an Organic Planet' Schedule Announced
- 10/02/14 - The Roar in NYC at the Climate March
- 10/02/14 - War and Climate Change: Time to Connect the Dots
- 10/01/14 - Seattle Joins the Growing List of Cities to Ban Bee-Killing Pesticides
- 10/01/14 - UN: Only Small Farmers and Agroecology Can Feed the World
- 10/01/14 - Switching from Cars to Public Transportation Could Save the World $100 Trillion and Reduce Pollution by 40%
- 10/01/14 - California Makes History by Banning Plastic Bags: Here’s What We Should Take on Next
- 10/01/14 - National Day of Maize in Mexico: Protecting the Sacred Plant
- 09/29/14 - The Carbon Underground: Reversing Global Warming
- 09/29/14 - This Week's Newsletter: Food at the Table. Finally.
- 09/29/14 - U.S.D.A. To Start Program to Support Local and Organic Farming
- 09/29/14 - Chemical Makers, Energy Companies Tell EPA Not to Mandate Fracking Fluid Disclosure
- 09/28/14 - Green Movement Embracing More Radical Tactics as Desperation Grows
- 09/27/14 - Cargill Announces Zero Deforestation Policy across Entire Global Supply Chain
- 09/27/14 - Agriculture beyond the Green Revolution: Shaping the Future We Want
- 09/27/14 - Forests Need Laws, Not Loopholes
- 09/27/14 - Brazil Warming to ‘Green’ Policies
- 09/27/14 - Can We Take Deforestation off the Grocery Store Shelves?
- 09/27/14 - Sheep Vegetation Management in British Columbia, Canada
- 09/26/14 - Fish Still Contaminated with Phased-out Scotchgard Chemical
- 09/26/14 - A Rising Tide of Contaminants
- 09/26/14 - Tell the EPA: Neonics should be banned. Don’t give Syngenta permission to spray even more of its bee-killing poisons on crops!