Battle In Seattle
See the film!
Inspire 10 Friends to See the Film (and You Might Win Free Chocolate!)
Inspire Others to Take Action
In 1999 YOU helped Organic Consumers Association take a stand for organic food and farming, fair trade, and active democracy when we stopped the World Trade Organization (WTO) from meeting in Seattle.
Tens of thousands of ordinary people like us from around the world-union members, environmental activists, farmers, students, teachers, and nuns-gathered together in an extraordinary alliance to challenge the WTO in Seattle.
We have a historic opportunity THIS MONTH to rally together again to raise awareness of the WTO's failed, poverty-perpetuating and environmentally devastating policies - and how ordinary people can change everything.
The new feature film, "BATTLE IN SEATTLE," starring Andre Benjamin, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Rodriguez, Channing Tatum, and Charlize Theron showcases activists as heroes protecting people and the planet from destruction at the hands of callous corporations.
WE INVITE YOU TO STAND UP TO THE WTO AGAIN TODAY by taking the following steps as we organize around this epic cultural event:
1. SEE THE FILM. Take your friends, your loved ones, your co-workers, your neighbors, and remember what victory looks like for the global environmental and social movement. The film transports you to the heart of the action, and leaves you filled with hope about creating a more just world.
THE FIRST TWO WEEKS IN THE THEATERS ARE CRITICAL! If enough people see the film, it will expand into other cities around the country, bringing its important message to an even larger audience! Order tickets and invite your friends to join you. If the film is not playing in your area use the "DEMAND IT!" widget to bring it to your area.
2. INSPIRE 10 FRIENDS TO SEE THE FILM (AND YOU MIGHT WIN CHOCOLATE!!!). Organize your own outreach campaign by emailing, calling or texting 10 or more of your friends in any of the opening cities (even if you don't live in one, yourself!) and ask them to relive our collective victory against corporate tyranny. Five lucky activists who use this email tool will win a box of Fair Trade chocolate confections!
3. TAKE ACTION. Organic Consumers Association is part of the 5 ACTIONS CAMPAIGN that provides 5 impactful and empowering actions you can take to follow in the footsteps of the activists in Battle in Seattle. Visit www.5actions.com and click on the Fair Trade icon to participate in our Reverse Trick-or-Treating action. (DEADLINES to sign up: groups - Oct 1; individuals - Oct 13!)
4. INSPIRE OTHERS TO TAKE ACTION. Pass out action flyers at the film screenings so audiences who see the film know how they can simply and powerfully take action themselves. Visit this link for details on how to get involved. DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: SEPTEMBER 10.
The film opens September 19 in New York, San Francisco, San Rafael, Seattle, and Minneapolis and September 26 in Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, and Washington DC check the website for new cities being added!
ARE YOU ON FACEBOOK OR MYSPACE? Change your profile photo to the www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/seebattleinseattle/bisposter.jpg! If thousands of us change our profile photos, it will have a huge visual impact on social networking sites and engage exponentially more people in the movement!
- 11/21/14 - Nature Wants Her Carbon Back
- 11/21/14 - Carbon Cycle Shifts as Corn 'Explodes'
- 11/20/14 - Cultivating Climate Justice: Brazilian Workers Leading the Charge toward Zero Waste
- 11/20/14 - If Grown Right, Wheat Might Help Fight Climate Change
- 11/20/14 - Doctors, Nurses Urge Ontario to Ban Neonicotinoids
- 11/20/14 - The Negative Effects of Pesticides on Children
- 11/20/14 - 5 Surprising Lessons about Organic Food from the Organic World Congress
- 11/19/14 - Keystone XL - We Won! But the Real Battle Lies Ahead
- 11/19/14 - Organic Farms Become a Winner in Putin’s Feud with the West
- 11/19/14 - (Contaminated) Water Is the Biggest Output of U.S. Oil and Gas Wells
- 11/19/14 - Turns out, the Future of Food Lies in These Old Seeds
- 11/19/14 - Monsanto Is Using Big Data to Take over the World
- 11/18/14 - USDA, Chevrolet and Ducks Unlimited Help Ranchers Sell Carbon Credits
- 11/18/14 - 10 Cities Leading the Conversation on Sustainable Eating
- 11/18/14 - Climate Disruption Depression and 2013 Emissions Set New Records
- 11/17/14 - Ogunquit Leads the Way with Ordinance Banning Pesticides
- 11/17/14 - Take the Pledge: Cook Organic Not the Planet!
- 11/17/14 - Back to the Future: How Regenerative Organics Can Restore Soil Fertility and Reverse Global Warming
- 11/14/14 - Researchers Find an Area the Size of the EU Is Cultivated in Urban Areas around the World
- 11/14/14 - How 'Double Bucks' for Food Stamps Conquered Capitol Hill
- 11/14/14 - How a National Food Policy Could Save Millions of American Lives
- 11/14/14 - Your Clothes Are Polluting the Ocean Every Time You Do Laundry
- 11/13/14 - Fracking Support Plummets among Americans
- 11/13/14 - Post Climate Pact, IEA Warns Fossil Fuel Trends Dire
- 11/13/14 - GEOENGINEERING: Are Record Salmon Runs in the Northwest the Result of a Controversial CO2 Reduction Scheme?
- 11/13/14 - Climate Crisis, the Deindustrialization Imperative and the Jobs vs. Environment Dilemma
- 11/13/14 - Back-to-the-Future Agriculture: 'Farming like the Earth Matters'
- 11/12/14 - Four Reasons—and Nine Items—to Cook Organic this Thanksgiving
- 11/12/14 - New U.S.-China Climate Deal Is a Game Changer
- 11/12/14 - The Coming Climate Onslaught
- 11/12/14 - Guest Debate: Should We Be Worried about GM Foods?
- 11/12/14 - Turkey Talk: What to Buy, and Where
- 11/11/14 - A Proposal to Save the Middle Class … by Cutting Carbon Pollution
- 11/10/14 - California’s Strawberry Industry Is Hooked on Dangerous Pesticides
- 11/10/14 - Global Meat Demand Plows up Brazil's 'Underground Forest'
- 11/10/14 - Here Comes the Sun: America's Solar Boom, in Charts
- 11/10/14 - Kale or Fracking? Farmers and Corporations Fight It out for Water
- 11/07/14 - Protecting Seeds and Their Stories: The Sacred in Everyday Life
- 11/07/14 - Health and Environmental Groups Denounce California Plan for Unlimited Statewide Spraying
- 11/07/14 - The Next Steps for an Organic Planet Are Yours to Take
- 11/07/14 - Bush Family and Its Inner Circle Play Central Role in Lawsuits against Denton, Texas Fracking Ban
- 11/06/14 - Chevron Spent $72 per Voter to Defeat These Green Candidates — and Failed
- 11/05/14 - Who Will Enforce the Organic Foods Production Act?
- 11/05/14 - 2014 Election Update: Record Number of Community Rights Initiatives on Ballot
- 11/03/14 - Climate Change Emerges as Priority for Black and Hispanic Voters
- 11/03/14 - NASA Bombshell: Global Groundwater Crisis Threatens Our Food Supplies and Our Security
- 11/03/14 - This Man Wants to Stop America’s Salad Bowl from Being Fracked
- 11/03/14 - How a Tiny Farm County Became Ground Zero in California's Fracking Fight
- 11/03/14 - 32 Countries Where Global Warming Could Make Violence Worse
- 11/03/14 - Feds Warn Plastic Bag Makers over Misleading Biodegradable Claim
- 11/01/14 - Tell EPA: Please Protect U.S. Waters from Factory Farm Pollution!
- 10/31/14 - How Organic Agriculture Can Reverse Global Warming: A Sprinkle of Compost Helps Rangeland Lock up Carbon
- 10/31/14 - Leonardo DiCaprio: Green Tech Can Soon Meet 100% of Global Energy Needs
- 10/31/14 - Green World Rising: Solar, Wind, and Regenerative Organic Agriculture Can Reverse Global Warming
- 10/31/14 - Big Oil Told in Secret: Use Dirty Tricks