Battle In Seattle
See the film!
Inspire 10 Friends to See the Film (and You Might Win Free Chocolate!)
Inspire Others to Take Action
In 1999 YOU helped Organic Consumers Association take a stand for organic food and farming, fair trade, and active democracy when we stopped the World Trade Organization (WTO) from meeting in Seattle.
Tens of thousands of ordinary people like us from around the world-union members, environmental activists, farmers, students, teachers, and nuns-gathered together in an extraordinary alliance to challenge the WTO in Seattle.
We have a historic opportunity THIS MONTH to rally together again to raise awareness of the WTO's failed, poverty-perpetuating and environmentally devastating policies - and how ordinary people can change everything.
The new feature film, "BATTLE IN SEATTLE," starring Andre Benjamin, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Rodriguez, Channing Tatum, and Charlize Theron showcases activists as heroes protecting people and the planet from destruction at the hands of callous corporations.
WE INVITE YOU TO STAND UP TO THE WTO AGAIN TODAY by taking the following steps as we organize around this epic cultural event:
1. SEE THE FILM. Take your friends, your loved ones, your co-workers, your neighbors, and remember what victory looks like for the global environmental and social movement. The film transports you to the heart of the action, and leaves you filled with hope about creating a more just world.
THE FIRST TWO WEEKS IN THE THEATERS ARE CRITICAL! If enough people see the film, it will expand into other cities around the country, bringing its important message to an even larger audience! Order tickets and invite your friends to join you. If the film is not playing in your area use the "DEMAND IT!" widget to bring it to your area.
2. INSPIRE 10 FRIENDS TO SEE THE FILM (AND YOU MIGHT WIN CHOCOLATE!!!). Organize your own outreach campaign by emailing, calling or texting 10 or more of your friends in any of the opening cities (even if you don't live in one, yourself!) and ask them to relive our collective victory against corporate tyranny. Five lucky activists who use this email tool will win a box of Fair Trade chocolate confections!
3. TAKE ACTION. Organic Consumers Association is part of the 5 ACTIONS CAMPAIGN that provides 5 impactful and empowering actions you can take to follow in the footsteps of the activists in Battle in Seattle. Visit www.5actions.com and click on the Fair Trade icon to participate in our Reverse Trick-or-Treating action. (DEADLINES to sign up: groups - Oct 1; individuals - Oct 13!)
4. INSPIRE OTHERS TO TAKE ACTION. Pass out action flyers at the film screenings so audiences who see the film know how they can simply and powerfully take action themselves. Visit this link for details on how to get involved. DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: SEPTEMBER 10.
The film opens September 19 in New York, San Francisco, San Rafael, Seattle, and Minneapolis and September 26 in Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, and Washington DC check the website for new cities being added!
ARE YOU ON FACEBOOK OR MYSPACE? Change your profile photo to the www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/seebattleinseattle/bisposter.jpg! If thousands of us change our profile photos, it will have a huge visual impact on social networking sites and engage exponentially more people in the movement!
- 12/17/13 - Growing Climate Change: The Farm Bill as Comprehensive Climate Change Policy
- 12/17/13 - How Biological Farming Can Make Better Food Supply
- 12/16/13 - The End of the Arctic? Ocean Could Be Ice Free by 2015
- 12/12/13 - Green Business Groups Join for Chemical Reform Push
- 12/11/13 - Where Farmers Markets and CSAs Fall Short
- 12/11/13 - Spike in Water Lead Levels Coincided with Rise in Miscarriages
- 12/06/13 - 9 Things Everyone Should Know about Farmed Fish
- 12/06/13 - Why Grassfed Is Best
- 12/04/13 - Thanksgiving: Time to Reclaim Our Seat at the Table
- 12/03/13 - Saving the Ozone May Slow Earth's Warming Rate
- 12/03/13 - India Creates Organic Seed Bank in Response to GMO Suicide Seeds, Farmer Debt
- 12/03/13 - Jerry Brown Followed to Events, Heckled by California Environmentalists over Fracking
- 12/03/13 - EHP – Urban Gardening: Managing the Risks of Contaminated Soil
- 12/03/13 - Honey Bee Die-off Caused by Multiple Factors Including Pesticides
- 12/03/13 - The Health Risks of Eating Conventionally-Grown Potatoes
- 12/03/13 - Since When Is the EPA Beholden to Big Ag?
- 12/02/13 - Sow for Victory: Bringing Back the Victory Garden
- 11/29/13 - Forget the Food Industry: Rediscover the Pleasure of Buying, Cooking, and Eating Real Food
- 11/27/13 - I'm the Guy Who People Thinks Hates Thanksgiving
- 11/27/13 - Turkey at $1.38 a Pound Sounds Great. Until You Think about What That Means
- 11/26/13 - The Environmental Costs of Corn-Based Ethanol
- 11/25/13 - World Is Watching Mora County Battle vs. Fracking
- 11/25/13 - Climate Change as a Business Model: Divestment vs. Climate Apocalypse
- 11/25/13 - As Environmentalists Walk out of UN Talks, Top US Envoy Says No to Reparations for Climate Damage
- 11/22/13 - Changing the Global Food Narrative
- 11/20/13 - UN Negotiators Ditch Climate-Friendly Agriculture Plan
- 11/20/13 - A Consumer Guide for Boycotting Factory Farms: Part One
- 11/18/13 - Time for a Mass Upheaval against the Perpetrators of Global Destruction
- 11/18/13 - Flying the Coop: Antibiotic Resistance Spreads to Birds, Other Wildlife
- 11/18/13 - 119 Documentaries to Expand Your Consciousness
- 11/18/13 - Fresh Ideas for School Lunches
- 11/16/13 - Brown Releases Proposed Rules for Fracking in California
- 11/14/13 - Chemical Farmers Must Cut Runoff to save Lake Erie
- 11/14/13 - Oil and Gas Ban Spurs Lawsuit in NM County
- 11/13/13 - Unintended Consequences: US Ethanol Revolution Causes 'Ecological Disaster'
- 11/12/13 - The Future Must Be Green, Red, Black and Female
- 11/12/13 - How to Start a Grocery Co-Op
- 11/12/13 - Hello Warsaw, This Is Haiyan Calling
- 11/12/13 - Push for Ethanol Production Carries Costs to Land
- 11/12/13 - Worlds Apart: Indigenous Leaders Abandon Faith in UN to Find Climate Solution
- 11/12/13 - Philippine Rep Makes Plea for 'Global Solidarity' to Fight 'Climate Madness'
- 11/11/13 - People Power Expressed in Elections
- 11/11/13 - Latest News on Divestment from Fossil Fuels
- 11/08/13 - As Canadian Province Puts Fracking on Hold, Will Others Follow?
- 11/07/13 - Greenhouse Gases Have Soared to Record Levels: WMO
- 11/07/13 - Climate Summit: Don't Turn Farmers into 'Climate Smart' Carbon Traders!
- 11/06/13 - Anti-Fracking Measures Win in Lafayette, Boulder, Fort Collins, Colorado
- 11/06/13 - Against the Odds, Three Colorado Communities Protect Themselves from Fracking
- 10/31/13 - GMO Wars: the Global Battlefield
- 10/30/13 - Just How Badly Are We Overfishing the Oceans?
- 10/30/13 - U.S. Says It Won’t Back New International Coal-Fired Power Plants
- 10/30/13 - How Science Is Telling Us All to Revolt
- 10/30/13 - World Food Day: Cook Organic, Not the Planet
- 10/29/13 - Yes, CO2 Emissions Are Down, but They Have Much Further to Go
- 10/29/13 - Will Obama Block the Keystone Pipeline or Just Keep Bending?