The Killing Fields of Agribusiness
#234, July 22, 2010
Edited by Alexis Baden-Mayer and Ronnie Cummins
In this issue:
Connect with us:
Quote of the Week
"Pesticides are war chemicals that kill - every year 220,000 people are killed by pesticides worldwide"
"We are witnessing a massive corporate genocide - the killing of people for super profits. To maintain these super profits, lies are told about how, without pesticides and genetically modified organisms (GMOs), there will be no food. In fact, the conclusions of International Assessment of Agricultural Science and Technology for Development, undertaken by the United Nations, shows that ecologically organic agriculture produces more food and better food at lower cost than either chemical agriculture or GMOs."
- Excerpt from Vandana Shiva's "The Killing Fields Of Multi-National Corporations", The Asian Age, July 14th, 2010
Alert of the Week
Top 10 Reasons to Label Genetically Engineered Food
Ask Your Congresspersons to Cosponsor HR 5577, Representative Kucinich's Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act
10. Almost all non-organic processed food or animal products in the U.S. today contain ingredients that come from genetically engineered crops or from animals given genetically engineered feed, vaccines or growth hormones.
9. Genetically engineered foods have not been tested to determine whether they are safe for human consumption.
8. Genetically engineered foods ARE different from conventional and organic foods.
7. A single serving of genetically engineered soy can result in "horizontal gene transfer," where the bacteria in the human gut adopts the soy's DNA.
6. Animals fed genetically engineered feed ARE different from animals fed conventional and organic feed.
5. The third generation of hamsters fed genetically engineered soy suffered slower growth, a high mortality rate, and a bizarre birth defect: fur growing in their mouths. Many also lost the ability to have pups.
4. The more genetically engineered corn fed to mice, the fewer babies they had and the smaller the babies were.
3. Biotech's scattershot technique of spraying plant cells with a buckshot of foreign genes that hit chromosomes in random spots would trigger the expression of new allergens and change the character of plant proteins.
2. Scientists reviewing data from Monsanto's own studies "have proven that genetically engineered foods are neither sufficiently healthy or proper to be commercialized."
1. The Convention on Biodiversity recognizes that genetic engineering is a threat to amount and variety of life on the planet.
OCA Needs Your Help to Fight Monsanto and Spread the Organic Revolution
OCA and our growing network of organic consumers and farmers understand that we have a positive life-affirming solution for the global food, health, and climate crisis: organic food, farming, and ranching. But to fight Monsanto and Big Food and get out our all-important message we need your support. Please send us a tax-deductible donation today and we'll send you a free "Millions Against Monsanto" bumper sticker so you can help spread the word in your community. Please be sure to put 'sticker' in the comments field of your donation.
Pictured are OCA warriors Honor and Lindsay wearing our new Millions Against Monsanto t-shirts, 100% organic and fair trade. This week any donation $100 and over will get a free t-shirt. Please specify your interest and size in the comments field. Help OCA and spread the word about the Millions Against Monsanto Campaign!
Videos of the Week
Presenting: The Story of Cosmetics Film and The Safe Cosmetics Act of 2010
What's really going on in your body? Watch and share this film and tell Congress it's time for safe cosmetics!
What are all those chemicals in your shampoo? Your lipstick? Your aftershave? And what do they have to do with asthma, breast cancer and learning disabilities?
Learn, share and help change this toxic mess! Watch The Story of Cosmetics, a 7-minute film exposing the ugly truth about personal care products, brought to you by the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, Annie Leonard's Story of Stuff Project, and Free Range Studios.
This video is just in time to build momentum for groundbreaking safe cosmetics legislation - the Safe Cosmetics Act of 2010! For the first time in 70 years, we have a real chance to pass a bill that would eliminate chemicals linked to cancer, birth defects and other health problems from the products women, men and children put on their bodies every day. This bill also includes important provisions for the use of manufactured nanomaterials in cosmetics and personal care products.
Thanks for watching and sharing The Story of Cosmetics and for asking Congress to get behind safe cosmetics legislation. Together, we're going to make sure cosmetics are safe for everyone.
Videos of the Week
Pig Business, exposes industrial hog farming, with a focus on Smithfield, the largest factory farm hog producer in the world.
Videos of the Week
FreeDocumentaries.org Airing The World According to Monsanto
FreeDocumentaries.org offers thought-provoking, educational, and entertaining documentaries to anyone with an internet connection.
One of the many great documentaries on FreeDocumentaries.org is The World According to Monsanto. If you've never seen it, it's a must. Please check it out.
Methane Seeps, Tipping Points Feared as Congress Sleepwalks
Backlash Grows Against Full-Body Scanners
Why Is the Obama Administration Parroting Monsanto Talking Points?
An Apparel Factory Defies Stereotypes, but Can It Thrive?
The Despicable Reason Behind Raw Milk Bans
75 Members of Congress Ask USDA to Allow Planting of Biotech Alfalfa
LOCAL [[State]] NEWS OF THE WEEK
[[State]] - Get Involved Locally
- Learn more about OCA related action alerts and other news in [[State]] here.
- Join [[State]] discussion groups in our forum.
- Post events in [[State]] on our community calendar.
Message from our Sponsors
Dr. Bronner’s is Celebrating Our 60th Anniversary!
Marking the 60th Anniversary of the company, Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps is pleased to announce that all classic liquid & bar soaps are now not only certified under the USDA National Organic Program, but also certified Fair Trade! In addition, we are pleased to introduce a revolutionary new range of high-quality organic products, from hair rinses to shaving gels – all certified under the same USDA program that certifies organic foods.
Please visit us on the web at DrBronner.com
Become an OCA Sponsor!
Every issue of Organic Bytes now goes to 250,000 organic consumers with a thousand new subscribers each week. Please help us and your business by letting our subscribers know who you are and that you support the work of the OCA. Please contact us if you want more information! (Note: select "Sponsorship Coordinator" from the dropdown menu)