Stop Genetically Modified Wheat in Canada!
(From the Canadian Biotechnology Action Network)
In 2004, genetically modified (GM - also called genetically engineered, GE) wheat was rejected by farmers and consumers across the globe, and yet industry is now working to prepare the way for GM wheat.
On May 14, 2009 industry groupsin Australia, Canada and the US pledged to "work toward the goal of synchronized commercialization of biotech traits in our wheat crops."
In response, on June 1, 2009, the Canadian Biotechnology Action Network and 14 groups from Australia, Canada and the United States issued a joint statement reminding Monsanto and industry groups that GM wheat has already been soundly rejected - and we reiterated our pledge to stop commercialization.
What Organizations Can Do:
If you belong to a group, association, church, union, professional body, please help us by asking your organization endorse the global rejection of GM wheat. Groups are asked to sign on to the statement here. Deadline: August 31, 2009.
Sign the statement: "In light of our existing experience with genetic engineering, and recognizing the global consumer rejection of genetically engineered wheat, we restate our definitive opposition to GE wheat and our commitment to stopping the commercialization of GE traits in our wheat crops."
What Individuals Can Do:
Send your instant letter to the Minister of Agriculture at http://www.cban.ca/globalstopGMwheat
Visit http://www.cban.ca/GMwheat to see other action options.
Visit OCA's GE Wheat Page and to learn more and take action.
- 07/18/14 - Canada and US Using Trade Talks to Weaken European Union Climate Legislation
- 07/17/14 - Why Genetically Engineered Rice Is a Bad Idea
- 07/08/14 - Pesticide Linked to Bee Deaths to Be Restricted in Ontario
- 06/30/14 - First Nations, First Dibs, Says Canada's Supreme Court
- 06/19/14 - Canada's Indigenous: 'We Are the Wall' That the Pipeline Cannot Pass
- 05/20/14 - Raw Milk Might Have a Future in Canada but Questions Remain
- 04/21/14 - Canada Decides Not to Allow Release of GM Alfalfa This Spring
- 04/09/14 - Make Pesticide Companies Release Bee Death Studies or Ban Their Products, Health Canada Told
- 04/07/14 - Is There Atrazine in Your Drinking Water?
- 03/17/14 - Genetically Modified Salmon May Soon Be in Stores, Thanks to AquaBounty
- 03/03/14 - Genetic Engineering: The Pushback against GMO Foods
- 01/22/14 - Prominent Canadians Join Neil Young's Call: Honor the Treaties, Stop the Tar Sands
- 11/26/13 - Canada's Approval of GM Fish Eggs Threatens Environment, Groups Say
- 11/16/13 - New Study: GMO Sweet Corn Rare in U.S. Supermarkets
- 11/08/13 - As Canadian Province Puts Fracking on Hold, Will Others Follow?
- 10/28/13 - Acidification of Oceans Threatens to Change Entire Marine Ecosystem
- 10/22/13 - In Canada's Alberta Province, Oil Sands Boom Is a Two-edged Sword
- 09/30/13 - Bee Deaths Linked to Insecticides, Health Canada Data Show for Second Year
- 08/22/13 - Nestlé's Extraction of Groundwater near Hope Riles First Nations
- 07/30/13 - Monsanto: A Food Stock with a Bad Aftertaste
- 07/02/13 - Bees Dying by the Millions in Canada
- 05/16/13 - Data on Safety of Genetically Engineered Salmon Not There, Warns Expert
- 05/14/13 - Former Pro-GMO Scientist Speaks Out On The Real Dangers of Genetically Engineered Food
- 05/10/13 - Indigenous Resistance Grows Strong in Keystone XL Battle
- 04/25/13 - Vancouver Island Canada Politicians Vote to Ban GMOs
- 04/11/13 - Rachel Parent: A Young Activist Fights for GMO Labelling in Canada
- 04/10/13 - New Report Warns of Inevitable Contamination if GM Alfalfa is Released in Ontario
- 03/25/13 - Salmon Confidential: Watch This Video
- 03/21/13 - Canadian and U.S. Natives Vow to Block Oil Pipelines
- 02/10/13 - A Presidential Decision That Could Change the World