A National Petition: The Organic Solution to the Climate Crisis
Given the fact that the direct (CO2, nitrous oxide, and methane) and indirect (deforestation, draining of wetlands) greenhouse gas emissions from factory farms and chemical and energy-intensive industrial agriculture constitute the majority of greenhouse gases,
We call on U.S. elected officials, political candidates, and regulatory agencies to support and implement the following three public policies:
1: Implement Truth in Labeling
Give consumers the opportunity to freely choose sustainable, climate-friendly, humane, and healthy products by requiring GMO, pesticide, antibiotic, hormone, CAFO, GHG, and country-of-origin labels on foods and products sold in grocery stores and restaurants. At the same time we must safeguard consumer choice by maintaining strict certification and labeling standards for products which are organic, Fair Trade, or genuinely healthy and sustainable.
2: Stop Subsidizing Destructive Policies
Stop subsidizing industrial food and farm production, fossil fuels, and resource wars, and instead use these funds to promote and qualitatively fast-track clean energy, a green jobs economy, and organic farming. It is currently estimated that U.S. taxpayer subsidies to the fossil fuel and industrial food and farm sectors amounts to $60 billion a year, while wars for oil and strategic resources in Iraq and Afghanistan are costing us $200 billion annually. The money wasted on wars and industrial agriculture by the U.S. alone is enough to fast-track the conversion of the U.S. and global economy to organic agriculture and clean energy and save the world from climate catastrophe.
3: Build an Organic and Green Economy
Begin the phase-out of industrial agriculture's most energy, GHG-intensive, and hazardous practices. These practices include the massive over-production of livestock and animal products, Genetically Modified (GM) crops and biofuels, toxic pesticides, chemical fertilizers, hormones, antibiotics, sewage sludge on farm lands, and slaughterhouse waste in animal feed. Ban factory farm CAFOs (confined animal feeding operations) and all inhumane confinement of farm animals.
Background Notes to the Food Agenda Petition
- To stabilize our already chaotic climate and to avoid catastrophic global warming of 2-7 degrees centigrade or more, we must reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) pollution from our current unsustainable global level of 389 parts CO2 per million to 350 ppm or below. Otherwise, we face massive crop failures, starvation, water shortages, pestilence, and unending wars for dwindling natural resources.
- In practical terms, this means reducing current fossil fuel use (especially in the food, transport, housing, military, and utilities sectors) by 90% by 2050; while sequestering or storing as much CO2 as possible in the soil through organic soil management and reforestation.
- By the year 2020, the U.S. needs to generate at least 30% of its energy from solar, wind, and other renewable sources (currently at 6%, while Denmark is at 20%).
- By 2020, 25% of our food needs to be certified organic (currently it is 4%), while drastically reducing the most-devastating greenhouse gases spewed out by industrial food and farming, methane and nitrous oxide.
- Only 1% of the U.S.'s 435 million acres of cultivated farmland are currently certified organic. In addition to drastically reducing fossil fuel energy use and slashing GHG emissions, each acre of farm, pasture, or range land brought under organic cultivation or management can safely sequester or store the equivalent of 7,000 pounds of climate-destabilizing CO2 per year.
- If all of U.S. farmland (not to mention pasture) were managed organically, we would be able to sequester almost 25% of all current GHG emissions, while significantly reducing fossil fuel use.
- Click Here to Sign the Food Agenda Petition Now!
Climate Catastrophe: Surviving the 21st Century
by Ronnie Cummins and Will Allen
A Conversation with Anna Lappé on Climate Change, Industrial Agriculture, and Conversion to a Climate Friendly Food System
food agenda Materials
- OCA Director Ronnie Cummins' Essential Reads on Agriculture and Climate Change
- Take a Bite out of Climate Change Fact Sheets
- Cool Farming: Climate Impacts of Agriculture and Mitigation Potential (PDF)
- Plan B 3.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization
- Fighting Global Warming at the Farmer's Market PDF
Ag & Climate News
- 10/01/14 - UN: Only Small Farmers and Agroecology Can Feed the World
- 10/01/14 - Livestock Industry's Antibiotic Use Protected by Court Ruling Claiming There Isn't an 'Official' Finding of Health Risk
- 10/01/14 - Switching from Cars to Public Transportation Could Save the World $100 Trillion and Reduce Pollution by 40%
- 10/01/14 - Butterball Goes 'Humane' for Thanksgiving. Really?
- 09/30/14 - Take a Stand against Factory Farming by Signing the 4F Pledge
- 09/29/14 - The Carbon Underground: Reversing Global Warming
- 09/29/14 - This Week's Newsletter: Food at the Table. Finally.
- 09/29/14 - The Bioethicist Turned Butcher
- 09/29/14 - Chemical Makers, Energy Companies Tell EPA Not to Mandate Fracking Fluid Disclosure
- 09/28/14 - Green Movement Embracing More Radical Tactics as Desperation Grows
- 09/27/14 - How Do You Detox 70 Million Clothes?
- 09/27/14 - Seven Reasons to Ditch Big Pharma's Antibiotics
- 09/27/14 - Brazil Warming to ‘Green’ Policies
- 09/26/14 - 5 Excellent New Reasons to Cut down on Meat
- 09/25/14 - Organic vs. 'Climate-Smart': Can the UN Fix Farming in Time?
- 09/25/14 - House Republications Push Bill to Weaken Pesticide Regulations - H.R.5447
- 09/25/14 - The Best Protest Signs from New York’s Historic Climate March
- 09/24/14 - The End of the World as We Know It
- 09/24/14 - Factory Farming Is the Overlooked Enemy of a Healthy Environment
- 09/23/14 - Real Solutions from Agriculture at the People's Climate March
- 09/23/14 - Global Investors Managing $24 Trillion Call for Stable Carbon Pricing
- 09/22/14 - Taking a Call for Climate Change to the Streets
- 09/22/14 - Climate Activists Promote Solutions in New York March
- 09/22/14 - March Today, Eat a Low-Carbon Diet Tomorrow
- 09/22/14 - Latin America at a Climate Crossroads
- 09/22/14 - The Farmers Should Show up to the Climate March
- 09/19/14 - Take Action: Tell the UN that Small Farmers Cool Planet and Feed the World
- 09/19/14 - Take the 4F ‘Factory Farm Free Friday’ Pledge!
- 09/19/14 - Sea Change: The Ecological Disaster That Nobody Sees
- 09/18/14 - Organic Consumers Kicks Off ‘Factory Farm Free Friday’ Campaign in Advance of UN Climate Summit