A National Petition: The Organic Solution to the Climate Crisis
Given the fact that the direct (CO2, nitrous oxide, and methane) and indirect (deforestation, draining of wetlands) greenhouse gas emissions from factory farms and chemical and energy-intensive industrial agriculture constitute the majority of greenhouse gases,
We call on U.S. elected officials, political candidates, and regulatory agencies to support and implement the following three public policies:
1: Implement Truth in Labeling
Give consumers the opportunity to freely choose sustainable, climate-friendly, humane, and healthy products by requiring GMO, pesticide, antibiotic, hormone, CAFO, GHG, and country-of-origin labels on foods and products sold in grocery stores and restaurants. At the same time we must safeguard consumer choice by maintaining strict certification and labeling standards for products which are organic, Fair Trade, or genuinely healthy and sustainable.
2: Stop Subsidizing Destructive Policies
Stop subsidizing industrial food and farm production, fossil fuels, and resource wars, and instead use these funds to promote and qualitatively fast-track clean energy, a green jobs economy, and organic farming. It is currently estimated that U.S. taxpayer subsidies to the fossil fuel and industrial food and farm sectors amounts to $60 billion a year, while wars for oil and strategic resources in Iraq and Afghanistan are costing us $200 billion annually. The money wasted on wars and industrial agriculture by the U.S. alone is enough to fast-track the conversion of the U.S. and global economy to organic agriculture and clean energy and save the world from climate catastrophe.
3: Build an Organic and Green Economy
Begin the phase-out of industrial agriculture's most energy, GHG-intensive, and hazardous practices. These practices include the massive over-production of livestock and animal products, Genetically Modified (GM) crops and biofuels, toxic pesticides, chemical fertilizers, hormones, antibiotics, sewage sludge on farm lands, and slaughterhouse waste in animal feed. Ban factory farm CAFOs (confined animal feeding operations) and all inhumane confinement of farm animals.
Background Notes to the Food Agenda Petition
- To stabilize our already chaotic climate and to avoid catastrophic global warming of 2-7 degrees centigrade or more, we must reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) pollution from our current unsustainable global level of 389 parts CO2 per million to 350 ppm or below. Otherwise, we face massive crop failures, starvation, water shortages, pestilence, and unending wars for dwindling natural resources.
- In practical terms, this means reducing current fossil fuel use (especially in the food, transport, housing, military, and utilities sectors) by 90% by 2050; while sequestering or storing as much CO2 as possible in the soil through organic soil management and reforestation.
- By the year 2020, the U.S. needs to generate at least 30% of its energy from solar, wind, and other renewable sources (currently at 6%, while Denmark is at 20%).
- By 2020, 25% of our food needs to be certified organic (currently it is 4%), while drastically reducing the most-devastating greenhouse gases spewed out by industrial food and farming, methane and nitrous oxide.
- Only 1% of the U.S.'s 435 million acres of cultivated farmland are currently certified organic. In addition to drastically reducing fossil fuel energy use and slashing GHG emissions, each acre of farm, pasture, or range land brought under organic cultivation or management can safely sequester or store the equivalent of 7,000 pounds of climate-destabilizing CO2 per year.
- If all of U.S. farmland (not to mention pasture) were managed organically, we would be able to sequester almost 25% of all current GHG emissions, while significantly reducing fossil fuel use.
- Click Here to Sign the Food Agenda Petition Now!
Climate Catastrophe: Surviving the 21st Century
by Ronnie Cummins and Will Allen
A Conversation with Anna Lappé on Climate Change, Industrial Agriculture, and Conversion to a Climate Friendly Food System
food agenda Materials
- OCA Director Ronnie Cummins' Essential Reads on Agriculture and Climate Change
- Take a Bite out of Climate Change Fact Sheets
- Cool Farming: Climate Impacts of Agriculture and Mitigation Potential (PDF)
- Plan B 3.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization
- Fighting Global Warming at the Farmer's Market PDF
Ag & Climate News
- 07/28/14 - Producers of Pigs Picking Fight Amid European Trade Deal
- 07/28/14 - 10 of the Biggest Threats to Human Existence
- 07/26/14 - Court Rules Rampant Misuse of Antibiotics on Factory Farms Can Continue
- 07/25/14 - Appeals Court Rules FDA Can Continue Allowing Antibiotics in Animal Feed
- 07/24/14 - How—and Why—to Boycott Factory Farmed Chicken
- 07/23/14 - Taking Oil Industry Cue, Environmentalists Drew Emissions Blueprint
- 07/22/14 - China Rotten Meat Scandal Spreads to Starbucks, Burger King
- 07/22/14 - Drier Than the Dust Bowl: Waiting for Relief in Rural America
- 07/21/14 - Land, Irrigation Water, Greenhouse Gas, and Reactive Nitrogen Burdens of Meat, Eggs, and Dairy Production in the United States
- 07/21/14 - Tar Sands Battleground: South Portland, Maine
- 07/21/14 - Deploying Drones to Get an Overview of Factory Farms
- 07/21/14 - 10 Reasons to Oppose ‘Right to Farm’ Amendments
- 07/18/14 - Canada and US Using Trade Talks to Weaken European Union Climate Legislation
- 07/17/14 - Group Representing a Half Billion Christians Divests from Fossil Fuels
- 07/16/14 - OCA Calls on USDA to Reveal Secret Changes to Poultry ‘Modernization’ Act and to Allow Public Comment
- 07/15/14 - Study: Vegetarian Low Meat Diets Can Help Mitigate Climate Change
- 07/15/14 - A Social Justice Issue We Can Sink Our Teeth Into: Factory Farming
- 07/14/14 - This Week's Newsletter: Pollan on Climate, Hillary Loves Monsanto
- 07/14/14 - Agriculture: The Surprising Leading Contributor to Pollution
- 07/14/14 - 'Fracking' Our Food and Farming System: "Extreme Agriculture" and the Politics of Denial
- 07/11/14 - El Niño Triggers Drought, Food Crisis in Nicaragua
- 07/09/14 - Slow Meat
- 07/09/14 - Republican Mayor Works to Combat Climate Change and 'Do What's Best for the People'
- 07/09/14 - Check Out These New Emojis for Foodies
- 07/09/14 - The Good Meat Club: The Butcher’s Guild
- 07/08/14 - Hope in a Book: Michael Pollan’s Foreword to ‘Grass, Soil, Hope: A Journey through Carbon Country,’ by Courtney White
- 07/07/14 - OCA Asks Consumers to Call Starbucks on Monday, July 7
- 07/03/14 - Urgent: Stop the Filthy Chicken Rule and Tyson Foods' Anti-Farmer Act
- 07/03/14 - Agroecology Cools down the Earth
- 07/03/14 - California Ranchers Tackle the Climate Crisis One Pasture at a Time