A National Petition: The Organic Solution to the Climate Crisis
Given the fact that the direct (CO2, nitrous oxide, and methane) and indirect (deforestation, draining of wetlands) greenhouse gas emissions from factory farms and chemical and energy-intensive industrial agriculture constitute the majority of greenhouse gases,
We call on U.S. elected officials, political candidates, and regulatory agencies to support and implement the following three public policies:
1: Implement Truth in Labeling
Give consumers the opportunity to freely choose sustainable, climate-friendly, humane, and healthy products by requiring GMO, pesticide, antibiotic, hormone, CAFO, GHG, and country-of-origin labels on foods and products sold in grocery stores and restaurants. At the same time we must safeguard consumer choice by maintaining strict certification and labeling standards for products which are organic, Fair Trade, or genuinely healthy and sustainable.
2: Stop Subsidizing Destructive Policies
Stop subsidizing industrial food and farm production, fossil fuels, and resource wars, and instead use these funds to promote and qualitatively fast-track clean energy, a green jobs economy, and organic farming. It is currently estimated that U.S. taxpayer subsidies to the fossil fuel and industrial food and farm sectors amounts to $60 billion a year, while wars for oil and strategic resources in Iraq and Afghanistan are costing us $200 billion annually. The money wasted on wars and industrial agriculture by the U.S. alone is enough to fast-track the conversion of the U.S. and global economy to organic agriculture and clean energy and save the world from climate catastrophe.
3: Build an Organic and Green Economy
Begin the phase-out of industrial agriculture's most energy, GHG-intensive, and hazardous practices. These practices include the massive over-production of livestock and animal products, Genetically Modified (GM) crops and biofuels, toxic pesticides, chemical fertilizers, hormones, antibiotics, sewage sludge on farm lands, and slaughterhouse waste in animal feed. Ban factory farm CAFOs (confined animal feeding operations) and all inhumane confinement of farm animals.
Background Notes to the Food Agenda Petition
- To stabilize our already chaotic climate and to avoid catastrophic global warming of 2-7 degrees centigrade or more, we must reduce Greenhouse Gas (GHG) pollution from our current unsustainable global level of 389 parts CO2 per million to 350 ppm or below. Otherwise, we face massive crop failures, starvation, water shortages, pestilence, and unending wars for dwindling natural resources.
- In practical terms, this means reducing current fossil fuel use (especially in the food, transport, housing, military, and utilities sectors) by 90% by 2050; while sequestering or storing as much CO2 as possible in the soil through organic soil management and reforestation.
- By the year 2020, the U.S. needs to generate at least 30% of its energy from solar, wind, and other renewable sources (currently at 6%, while Denmark is at 20%).
- By 2020, 25% of our food needs to be certified organic (currently it is 4%), while drastically reducing the most-devastating greenhouse gases spewed out by industrial food and farming, methane and nitrous oxide.
- Only 1% of the U.S.'s 435 million acres of cultivated farmland are currently certified organic. In addition to drastically reducing fossil fuel energy use and slashing GHG emissions, each acre of farm, pasture, or range land brought under organic cultivation or management can safely sequester or store the equivalent of 7,000 pounds of climate-destabilizing CO2 per year.
- If all of U.S. farmland (not to mention pasture) were managed organically, we would be able to sequester almost 25% of all current GHG emissions, while significantly reducing fossil fuel use.
- Click Here to Sign the Food Agenda Petition Now!
Climate Catastrophe: Surviving the 21st Century
by Ronnie Cummins and Will Allen
A Conversation with Anna Lappé on Climate Change, Industrial Agriculture, and Conversion to a Climate Friendly Food System
food agenda Materials
- OCA Director Ronnie Cummins' Essential Reads on Agriculture and Climate Change
- Take a Bite out of Climate Change Fact Sheets
- Cool Farming: Climate Impacts of Agriculture and Mitigation Potential (PDF)
- Plan B 3.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization
- Fighting Global Warming at the Farmer's Market PDF
Ag & Climate News
- 09/19/14 - Sea Change: The Ecological Disaster That Nobody Sees
- 09/18/14 - Organic Consumers Kicks Off ‘Factory Farm Free Friday’ Campaign in Advance of UN Climate Summit
- 09/17/14 - Link Found between Food Allergies and Farm Antibiotics
- 09/17/14 - The People’s Climate March: Meet the Next Movement of Movements
- 09/16/14 - Regenerative Agriculture: An Annotated Bibliography
- 09/16/14 - China, the Climate and the Fate of the Planet
- 09/16/14 - Special Report: Poultry Firms Systematically Feed Low-Dose Antibiotics to Flocks
- 09/16/14 - The Carbon Underground: Reversing Global Warming
- 09/15/14 - How Superbugs Hitch a Ride from Hog Farms into Your Community
- 09/15/14 - Community Struggles for the Defense of Their Territories
- 09/15/14 - Dark Money Corruption of Democracy Forces Climate Change Direct Action and Mass Mobilization
- 09/15/14 - This Week's Newsletter: We'll Be There. Will You?
- 09/15/14 - Kingpins of Carbon
- 09/15/14 - Pricing Pollution, Cutting Carbon
- 09/14/14 - Grass Fed Does Not Necessarily Mean Organic - Conscious Carnivores Look for Grass Fed and Organic
- 09/14/14 - 'We're Running out of Time': UN Body Says Greenhouse Gas Levels at Record High
- 09/14/14 - Toxic Glyphosate Herbicides Fly under the EU's Regulatory Radar
- 09/12/14 - Safety in Diversity: Adapting to Unpredictable Climate Change
- 09/12/14 - To UN: Small Farms Key to Reversing Climate Change, Feeding World
- 09/12/14 - The Drought Is Destroying California’s Organic Dairy Farms
- 09/11/14 - Fighting Global Warming Will Improve Health of People Everywhere
- 09/11/14 - Groups Slam 'Corporate Takeover' of UN Climate Summit, Call for System Change
- 09/11/14 - Improve Management of Public Lands, Mitigate Climate Change
- 09/10/14 - MA Judge Drops Criminal Charges against Climate Activists
- 09/09/14 - The Climate March: Will It Be a Call to Arms for the Earth, or Are More Radical Actions Needed?
- 09/09/14 - Half of North American Bird Species Threatened by Climate Change
- 09/09/14 - Mussels Don't Stick around in Acidic Ocean Water
- 09/08/14 - At Precisely the Worst Moment, Big Oil in America Is Back with a Vengeance
- 09/08/14 - Why Grass-Fed Meat Is Better for Your Health and the Environment
- 09/08/14 - Is This the End of the 'War on Trees'? UN Members Pledge to Restore Woodland and Safeguard Rainforests