Why We Should All Eat More Organic Food
- Organic foods, especially raw or non-processed, contain higher levels of beta carotene, vitamins C, D and E, health-promoting polyphenols, cancer-fighting antioxidants, flavonoids that help ward off heart disease, essential fatty acids, and essential minerals.
- On average, organic is 25% more nutritious in terms of vitamins and minerals than products derived from industrial agriculture. Since on the average, organic food's shelf price is only 20% higher than chemical food, this makes it actually cheaper, gram for gram, than chemical food, even ignoring the astronomical hidden costs (damage to health, climate, environment, and government subsidies) of industrial food production. Learn more...
- Levels of antioxidants in milk from organic cattle are between 50% and 80% higher than normal milk. Organic wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, onions and lettuce have between 20% and 40% more nutrients than non-organic foods. Learn more...
- Organic food contains qualitatively higher levels of essential minerals (such as calcium, magnesium, iron and chromium), that are severely depleted in chemical foods grown on pesticide and nitrate fertilizer-abused soil. UK and US government statistics indicate that levels of trace minerals in (non-organic) fruit and vegetables fell by up to 76% between 1940 and 1991.
Organic Food is Pure Food, Free of Chemical Additives
- Organic food doesn't contain food additives, flavor enhancers (like MSG), artificial sweeteners (like aspartame and high-fructose corn syrup), contaminants (like mercury) or preservatives (like sodium nitrate), that can cause health problems.
- Eating organic has the potential to lower the incidence of autism, learning disorders, diabetes, cancer, coronary heart disease, allergies, osteoporosis, migraines, dementia, and hyperactivity.
Organic Food Is Safer
- Organic food doesn't contain pesticides. More than 400 chemical pesticides are routinely used in conventional farming and residues remain on non-organic food even after washing. Children are especially vulnerable to pesticide exposure. One class of pesticides, endocrine disruptors, may be responsible for early puberty and breast cancer. Pesticides are linked to asthma and cancer.
- Organic food isn't genetically modified. Under organic standards, genetically modified (GM) crops and ingredients are prohibited.
- Organic animals aren't given drugs. Organic farming standards prohibit the use of antibiotics, growth hormones and genetically modified vaccines in farm animals. Hormone-laced beef and dairy consumption is correlated with increased rates of breast, testis and prostate cancers.
- Organic animals aren't fed slaughterhouse waste, blood, or manure. Eating organic reduces the risks of CJD, the human version of mad cow disease, as well as Alzheimer's.
- Organic animals aren't fed arsenic.
- Organic animals aren't fed byproducts of corn ethanol production (which increases the rate of E. coli contamination).
- Organic crops aren't fertilized with toxic sewage sludge or coal waste, or irrigated with E. coli contaminated sewage water.
- Organic food isn't irradiated. Cats fed a diet of irradiated food got multiple sclerosis within 3-4 months.
- Organic food contains less illness-inducing bacteria. Organic chicken is free of salmonella and has a reduced incidence of campylobacter.
- Organic dairy has environmental benefits: Shades of Green: Quantifying the Benefits of Organic Dairy Production
When comparing prices in the grocery aisles, the organic version of particular items is often 20% on the average more expensive, but if you make a pledge to eat more organic, you'll likely save money overall by eating out at restaurants less often, packing your lunch, and cooking from scratch. Learn more.
Essays on Organics
Approaching the Collapse: Don't Panic, Go Organic by Ronnie Cummins
Local and Organic Food and Farming: The Gold Standard by Will Allen, Ronnie Cummins & Kate Duesterberg
- 10/31/12 - Dr. Bronner's Contributes Another $250,000 for Yes on 37 Campaign
- 10/31/12 - Can Farms Bounce Back from Superstorms Like Sandy?
- 10/31/12 - Protecting Children’s Health: American Academy of Pediatrics Misses the Big Picture in Their Flawed 'Organics' Analysis
- 10/29/12 - UCSF, John Muir, SF VA and Kaiser Lead Bay Area Organic Produce Push
- 10/29/12 - What do Food Labels Really Mean?
- 10/29/12 - Exposing the All Natural Labels on Meat and Animal Products
- 10/24/12 - When It Comes to Food, How Does Your Lawmaker Stack Up?
- 10/24/12 - Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds: Food Movement Icons Bring Back Pioneer Chic
- 10/22/12 - The Risky Business Of Eating In America
- 10/21/12 - Can the Local Food Movement Scale Up to Meet the Demand of Hospitals and Other Big Purchasers?
- 10/19/12 - Communities Take Food Justice Into Their Own Hands, One Plot at a Time
- 10/16/12 - Growing Up, Growing Food: A Teenage Farmer to Watch
- 10/16/12 - Big Tobacco Lawyers Target Food Industry for False Labeling of "Natural" Ingredients
- 10/14/12 - Only Organics Can Feed the Hungry World: Here's Why
- 10/11/12 - New Study: Why Glyphosate Should be Banned
- 10/10/12 - Majority of 'Gluten-Free' Foods Found to Contain GMOs
- 10/10/12 - 'Organic' Baby Food May Soon Contain Who-Knows-What
- 10/08/12 - PROPOSITION 37 CONTROVERSY UPDATE: Separating the Wheat from the Chaff-New Organic Heroes Step Forward (No Longer AWOL)
- 10/07/12 - Food MythBusters Take on Big Ag's Worst Lies
- 10/03/12 - Organic Subsidiaries Out Parent Conglomerates
- 10/03/12 - YouTube Censors 'Organic Spies' Video Exposing Whole Foods Employees Lying About GMOs
- 10/02/12 - Animal Legal Defense Fund Sues "Organic" Egg Producers for False Advertising
- 09/27/12 - Local Produce Increasingly Preferred To Organic, Whole Foods Market Survey Shows
- 09/27/12 - The Common Ground Fair in Maine Celebrates Organic Food
- 09/26/12 - Five Ways Small-Scale Organic Farming Can Save Agriculture from America's 'Greed for Profit' System
- 09/26/12 - Does Monsanto Man Mitt Romney Secretly Eat Organic?
- 09/25/12 - Jack Johnson: Why This Famous Musician Wants You to Eat Organic
- 09/24/12 - Mass Demonstration and Teach-in for Organic Farming in EU
- 09/24/12 - Farm Aid 2012: Celebrating the Family Farm
- 09/23/12 - Organic Consumers Calls on Natural Products Association to Stop Putting Their 'Natural' Seal on Products that Contain GMOs
- 09/19/12 - Tell the NPA to Stop Putting the "Natural" Seal on Products that Contain GMOs!
- 09/19/12 - Ask Whole Foods to Respect Consumers' Right to Know About GMOs
- 09/19/12 - New Membership Offer from Green Polka Dot Box
- 09/19/12 - Tell the National Organic Standards Board to Keep Hazardous Synthetics Out of Organic!
- 09/19/12 - With Elections on the Horizon, Who Are Congress’s Natural Health Champions?
- 09/18/12 - Stanford Study Flawed
- 09/18/12 - National Advertising Review Board Determines that Fair Trade USA's "Fair Trade Certified" Labels Should Reveal Percentage of Fair Trade Content in Body Care Products
- 09/18/12 - What the Study Forgot to Mention: Organic Food Can Save the World From Devastating Climate Change
- 09/17/12 - International World Egg Day is October 14th!
- 09/17/12 - Five Organic Foods to Watch for in 2012
- 09/17/12 - The Environmental and Climate Benefits of Grass-Fed, Pasture-Rotated Cattle
- 09/16/12 - CorpWatch : Stanford Organics Study A "Fraud" - Linked to Cargill & Tobacco Money
- 09/14/12 - Prop 37: Iconic Organic Industry Giants Missing in Action
- 09/14/12 - California Pits Organic Brands vs. Corporate Parents
- 09/14/12 - Stanford's "Spin" on Organics Allegedly Tainted by Biotechnology Funding
- 09/13/12 - Organic Center's Charles Benbrook Reviews the Stanford Study
- 09/13/12 - "Busted" : Recent Study Challenging Advantages of Organics Linked to Biotechnology/Agrichemical Funding
- 09/12/12 - Millennials: The Emerging Organic Majority?
- 09/12/12 - Why Are Some of the Most Popular Organic Brands Trying to Take Down Consumer Labeling Efforts?
- 09/11/12 - The New Green Giants
- 09/11/12 - Organic Food: Still More than an Elitist Lifestyle Choice
- 09/11/12 - Stanford's Monsanto Ties Cast Doubt on Organic Food Study
- 09/10/12 - Can Antibiotic Residues in Non-Organic Food Make You Gain Weight?
- 09/07/12 - Food Co-ops Brace for Arrival of Giant Rivals
- 09/07/12 - Is the ‘Natural’ Label 100 Percent Misleading?
PDF About Organic Food
Educate yourself, family, and friends, with this new pamphlet about organic food created by the University of Minnesota.
Download the PDF here: What is Organic Food and Why Should I Care?
- Organic Directories
- Find Organic Food Stores
- Which Organic Milk Brands Are Best for the Environment and Animal Welfare?
- Confused About Organic Wine?
- Why You Need to Buy Organic Seeds
- Where to Buy Organic and Non-GE Seeds
- The Organic Center: Communicating the verifiable benefits of organic farming and products to society. Visit them here!
- Co-op Grocer Magazine's Online Guide to Starting a Food Co-op
- Good Growing: Why Organic Farming Works - University of Nebraska Press