Why We Should All Eat More Organic Food
- Organic foods, especially raw or non-processed, contain higher levels of beta carotene, vitamins C, D and E, health-promoting polyphenols, cancer-fighting antioxidants, flavonoids that help ward off heart disease, essential fatty acids, and essential minerals.
- On average, organic is 25% more nutritious in terms of vitamins and minerals than products derived from industrial agriculture. Since on the average, organic food's shelf price is only 20% higher than chemical food, this makes it actually cheaper, gram for gram, than chemical food, even ignoring the astronomical hidden costs (damage to health, climate, environment, and government subsidies) of industrial food production. Learn more...
- Levels of antioxidants in milk from organic cattle are between 50% and 80% higher than normal milk. Organic wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, onions and lettuce have between 20% and 40% more nutrients than non-organic foods. Learn more...
- Organic food contains qualitatively higher levels of essential minerals (such as calcium, magnesium, iron and chromium), that are severely depleted in chemical foods grown on pesticide and nitrate fertilizer-abused soil. UK and US government statistics indicate that levels of trace minerals in (non-organic) fruit and vegetables fell by up to 76% between 1940 and 1991.
Organic Food is Pure Food, Free of Chemical Additives
- Organic food doesn't contain food additives, flavor enhancers (like MSG), artificial sweeteners (like aspartame and high-fructose corn syrup), contaminants (like mercury) or preservatives (like sodium nitrate), that can cause health problems.
- Eating organic has the potential to lower the incidence of autism, learning disorders, diabetes, cancer, coronary heart disease, allergies, osteoporosis, migraines, dementia, and hyperactivity.
Organic Food Is Safer
- Organic food doesn't contain pesticides. More than 400 chemical pesticides are routinely used in conventional farming and residues remain on non-organic food even after washing. Children are especially vulnerable to pesticide exposure. One class of pesticides, endocrine disruptors, may be responsible for early puberty and breast cancer. Pesticides are linked to asthma and cancer.
- Organic food isn't genetically modified. Under organic standards, genetically modified (GM) crops and ingredients are prohibited.
- Organic animals aren't given drugs. Organic farming standards prohibit the use of antibiotics, growth hormones and genetically modified vaccines in farm animals. Hormone-laced beef and dairy consumption is correlated with increased rates of breast, testis and prostate cancers.
- Organic animals aren't fed slaughterhouse waste, blood, or manure. Eating organic reduces the risks of CJD, the human version of mad cow disease, as well as Alzheimer's.
- Organic animals aren't fed arsenic.
- Organic animals aren't fed byproducts of corn ethanol production (which increases the rate of E. coli contamination).
- Organic crops aren't fertilized with toxic sewage sludge or coal waste, or irrigated with E. coli contaminated sewage water.
- Organic food isn't irradiated. Cats fed a diet of irradiated food got multiple sclerosis within 3-4 months.
- Organic food contains less illness-inducing bacteria. Organic chicken is free of salmonella and has a reduced incidence of campylobacter.
- Organic dairy has environmental benefits: Shades of Green: Quantifying the Benefits of Organic Dairy Production
When comparing prices in the grocery aisles, the organic version of particular items is often 20% on the average more expensive, but if you make a pledge to eat more organic, you'll likely save money overall by eating out at restaurants less often, packing your lunch, and cooking from scratch. Learn more.
Essays on Organics
Approaching the Collapse: Don't Panic, Go Organic by Ronnie Cummins
Local and Organic Food and Farming: The Gold Standard by Will Allen, Ronnie Cummins & Kate Duesterberg
- 04/17/14 - How Organic Food Is Breaking down All Class Boundaries
- 04/17/14 - Plant These 6 Perennial Vegetables Once, and Reap Their Harvest Year after Year
- 04/17/14 - National Congress of Brazil’s Landless Movement: Reinvention in Motion
- 04/17/14 - 7 Ways to Buy Organic Food on the Cheap
- 04/17/14 - Controversial Overhaul of EU Organic Regulation Raises Red Flags
- 04/16/14 - Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners—Teaching Generations to Love Mother Earth
- 04/15/14 - Organic Consumers Association Comments on New Study Showing Glyphosate Found in Mothers' Breast Milk
- 04/14/14 - Walmart Wants to Sell Cheaper Organic Food. Is That Good or Bad?
- 04/10/14 - Dr. Mercola Interviews Ronnie Cummins and Will Allen from the OCA
- 04/10/14 - National Organic Standards Board to Address Two Meetings' Worth of Serious Issues This Spring
- 04/10/14 - Tell the USDA National Organic Program: Mutagenesis Doesn't Belong in Organic!
- 04/09/14 - It's Time to Make Your Own Vegetable Garden!
- 04/09/14 - Biochar Doubles Plant Growth
- 04/09/14 - Don't Panic, Go Organic: The IPCC Report Should Be a Wakeup Call for Climate-Smart Food
- 04/08/14 - Eliot Coleman Reflects on Four Decades of Organic Farming in Maine
- 04/08/14 - Human Urine May Represent the Future of Fertilizer
- 04/07/14 - Avon Will Remove Triclosan from Products – What Will Replace It?
- 04/07/14 - This Week's Newsletter: Organics Under Attack
- 04/04/14 - Should Sustainability be a Requirement of Non-GMO Farming?
- 04/04/14 - Save Organic Standards! Tell USDA Secretary Vilsack to Reverse Rule that Weakens Organics
- 04/02/14 - Raw Milk: What’s Happening in Your State?
- 04/02/14 - Corporate Clout Chips Away at Organic Standards
- 03/28/14 - What Immigration Reform Means for the Food System
- 03/27/14 - Survey Finds Majority of Consumers Consider GMOs, but Where Are the Labels?
- 03/27/14 - Fair and Sustainable? UNFI Builds an Environmentally Destructive Distribution Center
- 03/27/14 - College Students Are Increasingly Turning to Food Banks, and Movement To "Give America a Raise"
- 03/26/14 - How—and Why—to Boycott Pork from Pigs Raised on Factory Farms
- 03/25/14 - Biointensive Guide to Intensive Planting
- 03/25/14 - 10 Ways to Teach Your Child to Eat Well
- 03/25/14 - Healing with Calendula
- 03/24/14 - Weeds and Black Gold
- 03/22/14 - The Omni-Benefits of Regenerative Pasture Management
- 03/21/14 - Heinz Hit with False Advertising Lawsuit over Natural Claims, GMOs
- 03/21/14 - Tell Michelle Obama: Consumers Want Labels on Genetically Modified Foods!
- 03/19/14 - One Solution to Climate Change and Growing Healthier Food Is Right under Our Feet
- 03/18/14 - Growing Milkweed for Monarchs
- 03/18/14 - Campaign Launched to Defend the Organic Food Label
- 03/17/14 - Food Tank by the Numbers: Small Farmers Are Nourishing the World
- 03/14/14 - Report: Obesity Rates Among Toddlers Have Declined
- 03/14/14 - Selecting Seeds for Garden Success
- 03/13/14 - Fermenting Veggies at Home: Follow Food Safety ABCs
- 03/13/14 - Who Knew Vegetable Gardens Could Be so Revolutionary?
- 03/13/14 - It's the Money, Honey--The Ugly Side of the Fashion Clothing Industry
- 03/13/14 - French Organic Winemaker Faces Prison for Defying Pesticide Order
- 03/12/14 - UN Report Calls for Radical, Democratic Food System
- 03/12/14 - Maryland Introduces GMO Labeling Bill despite Opposition from Food Industry
- 03/12/14 - Farm Bill Reflects Shifting American Menu and a Senator's Persistent Tilling
- 03/12/14 - Should You Go Vegetarian to Lower Your Blood Pressure?
- 03/12/14 - Chobani to Launch Organic Greek Yogurt in Q3
- 03/12/14 - Wendell Berry: A Strong Voice for Local Farming and the Land
- 03/12/14 - How New Research on Chemicals in Household Products Gives New Meaning to 'at-Risk Kids'
- 03/11/14 - Ancient Chia Seeds Reduce Modern Heart Disease Risk
- 03/11/14 - The Surprising Reason Americans Might Be Obese, Anxious and Depressed
- 03/06/14 - A Golden Torch: Mullein's Healing Light
- 03/05/14 - Food Injustice: The Revolution Starts In The Garden
PDF About Organic Food
Educate yourself, family, and friends, with this new pamphlet about organic food created by the University of Minnesota.
Download the PDF here: What is Organic Food and Why Should I Care?
- Organic Directories
- Find Organic Food Stores
- Which Organic Milk Brands Are Best for the Environment and Animal Welfare?
- Confused About Organic Wine?
- Why You Need to Buy Organic Seeds
- Where to Buy Organic and Non-GE Seeds
- The Organic Center: Communicating the verifiable benefits of organic farming and products to society. Visit them here!
- Co-op Grocer Magazine's Online Guide to Starting a Food Co-op
- Good Growing: Why Organic Farming Works - University of Nebraska Press