Why We Should All Eat More Organic Food
- Organic foods, especially raw or non-processed, contain higher levels of beta carotene, vitamins C, D and E, health-promoting polyphenols, cancer-fighting antioxidants, flavonoids that help ward off heart disease, essential fatty acids, and essential minerals.
- On average, organic is 25% more nutritious in terms of vitamins and minerals than products derived from industrial agriculture. Since on the average, organic food's shelf price is only 20% higher than chemical food, this makes it actually cheaper, gram for gram, than chemical food, even ignoring the astronomical hidden costs (damage to health, climate, environment, and government subsidies) of industrial food production. Learn more...
- Levels of antioxidants in milk from organic cattle are between 50% and 80% higher than normal milk. Organic wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, onions and lettuce have between 20% and 40% more nutrients than non-organic foods. Learn more...
- Organic food contains qualitatively higher levels of essential minerals (such as calcium, magnesium, iron and chromium), that are severely depleted in chemical foods grown on pesticide and nitrate fertilizer-abused soil. UK and US government statistics indicate that levels of trace minerals in (non-organic) fruit and vegetables fell by up to 76% between 1940 and 1991.
Organic Food is Pure Food, Free of Chemical Additives
- Organic food doesn't contain food additives, flavor enhancers (like MSG), artificial sweeteners (like aspartame and high-fructose corn syrup), contaminants (like mercury) or preservatives (like sodium nitrate), that can cause health problems.
- Eating organic has the potential to lower the incidence of autism, learning disorders, diabetes, cancer, coronary heart disease, allergies, osteoporosis, migraines, dementia, and hyperactivity.
Organic Food Is Safer
- Organic food doesn't contain pesticides. More than 400 chemical pesticides are routinely used in conventional farming and residues remain on non-organic food even after washing. Children are especially vulnerable to pesticide exposure. One class of pesticides, endocrine disruptors, may be responsible for early puberty and breast cancer. Pesticides are linked to asthma and cancer.
- Organic food isn't genetically modified. Under organic standards, genetically modified (GM) crops and ingredients are prohibited.
- Organic animals aren't given drugs. Organic farming standards prohibit the use of antibiotics, growth hormones and genetically modified vaccines in farm animals. Hormone-laced beef and dairy consumption is correlated with increased rates of breast, testis and prostate cancers.
- Organic animals aren't fed slaughterhouse waste, blood, or manure. Eating organic reduces the risks of CJD, the human version of mad cow disease, as well as Alzheimer's.
- Organic animals aren't fed arsenic.
- Organic animals aren't fed byproducts of corn ethanol production (which increases the rate of E. coli contamination).
- Organic crops aren't fertilized with toxic sewage sludge or coal waste, or irrigated with E. coli contaminated sewage water.
- Organic food isn't irradiated. Cats fed a diet of irradiated food got multiple sclerosis within 3-4 months.
- Organic food contains less illness-inducing bacteria. Organic chicken is free of salmonella and has a reduced incidence of campylobacter.
- Organic dairy has environmental benefits: Shades of Green: Quantifying the Benefits of Organic Dairy Production
When comparing prices in the grocery aisles, the organic version of particular items is often 20% on the average more expensive, but if you make a pledge to eat more organic, you'll likely save money overall by eating out at restaurants less often, packing your lunch, and cooking from scratch. Learn more.
Essays on Organics
Approaching the Collapse: Don't Panic, Go Organic by Ronnie Cummins
Local and Organic Food and Farming: The Gold Standard by Will Allen, Ronnie Cummins & Kate Duesterberg
- 10/31/14 - Oceana Study Reveals Misrepresentation of America’s Favorite Seafood
- 10/30/14 - The New Farmers
- 10/27/14 - The Beef with Beef Labels: Do You Know What They Mean?
- 10/27/14 - From Ben & Jerry's to Annie's: Lessons on When It's Time to Sell Your Startup
- 10/27/14 - The Red Juice in Raw Red Meat Isn't Blood
- 10/27/14 - Unsafe: The Truth behind Everyday Chemicals
- 10/24/14 - Powerful Organic Trade/Lobby Group Recruiting Family Farmers
- 10/23/14 - Dirt of Ages: Reversing Global Warming, Ending Hunger and Poverty
- 10/22/14 - The Land Institute: A 50-Year Farm Bill
- 10/22/14 - How Urban Farming Is Revitalizing America
- 10/22/14 - The Meaning of 'Organic' Hazy for Nonfood Items
- 10/22/14 - McDonald’s May Sell More Organic Foods
- 10/22/14 - Organic and Local: Still the Gold Standard
- 10/21/14 - Fight for Raw Milk Heats up in Wisconsin and Illinois
- 10/20/14 - My Top Five Superfoods
- 10/20/14 - Cornucopia Institute Identifies Industrial Factory Farms Illegally Passing off Meat as 'Organic'
- 10/17/14 - No No Nano: Macro-Objections to Micro-Machinations of Industrial Processed Food
- 10/16/14 - Take Action! Get GMO Vaccines Out of Organic!
- 10/15/14 - Ten Reasons Why You Should Care What You Wear
- 10/15/14 - Roar II
- 10/15/14 - Nanotechnology: The Tiniest of Revolutions
- 10/14/14 - Regenerative Agriculture Is the Answer to Save Your Health
- 10/13/14 - Family Farmers Don't Need Climate-Smart Agriculture
- 10/13/14 - Juicing: One of the Best Tools for Improving Your Health
- 10/13/14 - How Plants Communicate with Others
- 10/13/14 - This Week's Newsletter: You Wouldn't Think
- 10/13/14 - Can Whole Foods Serve Southside Chicago’s Soul?
- 10/10/14 - Watch out for These Buzzwords Food Companies Use to Hype That Their Products Are Healthy-They Don't Mean Anything
- 10/10/14 - Tell the National Organic Standards Board: Keep Organics Strong!
- 10/09/14 - Letter from OCA's Ronnie Cummins to Starbucks CEO, Howard Schultz
- 10/09/14 - Organic Cotton Can Play a Vital Role in Feeding the World
- 10/09/14 - Study Shows Nutritional Superiority of Organic Foods
- 10/09/14 - Organic & Natural Health Association Launches Campaign to Advance Defining 'Natural' Standards at Supply Side West
- 10/09/14 - The Touch, the Feel, of GE Cotton?
- 10/08/14 - Why Lots Of Grass-Fed Beef Sold In U.S. Comes From Down Under
- 10/07/14 - U.S. Foods Labeled 'Natural' Often Contain GMOs, Group Reports
- 10/07/14 - Two for One: Subsidies Help Food Stamp Recipients Buy Fresh Food
- 10/07/14 - What You're Eating: Consumer Reports Investigates GMOs in Food
- 10/07/14 - Organic Farm and Consumer Groups Achieve Partial Victory to Protect National Organic Standards Board
- 10/06/14 - Nanomaterials in Organic Food? The USDA Is Looking the Other Way
- 10/06/14 - Organic Milk May Send Your Starbucks Latte Bill Soaring
- 10/06/14 - Wood Chips: The Secret to Inexpensive High-Performance Gardening
- 10/06/14 - 'Symphony of the Soil' Extols the Importance and Mystery of Soil
- 10/06/14 - This Week's Newsletter: URGENT: Phone a Friend!
- 10/01/14 - Made in the Shade: Six Reasons to Choose Organic, Shade-Grown, Fair Trade Coffee
- 10/01/14 - Why We Shut Down the USDA Organic Meeting and Why We Would Do It Again
- 10/01/14 - UN: Only Small Farmers and Agroecology Can Feed the World
- 10/01/14 - Organics Board to Review Rules for BPA, GMOs, and GMO Vaccines for Animals
- 09/29/14 - U.S.D.A. To Start Program to Support Local and Organic Farming
- 09/28/14 - Is Goat Cheese Good for Your Health?
- 09/27/14 - Activists Raise Warning Flags about 'Synthetic Biology' Ingredients
- 09/26/14 - Boycott Annie’s Homegrown and the Rest of the General Mills-Owned ‘Traitor’ Brands!
- 09/25/14 - Organic vs. 'Climate-Smart': Can the UN Fix Farming in Time?
- 09/25/14 - International Symposium on Agroecology at the FAO in Rome
- 09/25/14 - Small Organic Companies Become Big Food Brands
PDF About Organic Food
Educate yourself, family, and friends, with this new pamphlet about organic food created by the University of Minnesota.
Download the PDF here: What is Organic Food and Why Should I Care?
- Organic Directories
- Find Organic Food Stores
- Which Organic Milk Brands Are Best for the Environment and Animal Welfare?
- Confused About Organic Wine?
- Why You Need to Buy Organic Seeds
- Where to Buy Organic and Non-GE Seeds
- The Organic Center: Communicating the verifiable benefits of organic farming and products to society. Visit them here!
- Co-op Grocer Magazine's Online Guide to Starting a Food Co-op
- Good Growing: Why Organic Farming Works - University of Nebraska Press