Why We Should All Eat More Organic Food
- Organic foods, especially raw or non-processed, contain higher levels of beta carotene, vitamins C, D and E, health-promoting polyphenols, cancer-fighting antioxidants, flavonoids that help ward off heart disease, essential fatty acids, and essential minerals.
- On average, organic is 25% more nutritious in terms of vitamins and minerals than products derived from industrial agriculture. Since on the average, organic food's shelf price is only 20% higher than chemical food, this makes it actually cheaper, gram for gram, than chemical food, even ignoring the astronomical hidden costs (damage to health, climate, environment, and government subsidies) of industrial food production. Learn more...
- Levels of antioxidants in milk from organic cattle are between 50% and 80% higher than normal milk. Organic wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, onions and lettuce have between 20% and 40% more nutrients than non-organic foods. Learn more...
- Organic food contains qualitatively higher levels of essential minerals (such as calcium, magnesium, iron and chromium), that are severely depleted in chemical foods grown on pesticide and nitrate fertilizer-abused soil. UK and US government statistics indicate that levels of trace minerals in (non-organic) fruit and vegetables fell by up to 76% between 1940 and 1991.
Organic Food is Pure Food, Free of Chemical Additives
- Organic food doesn't contain food additives, flavor enhancers (like MSG), artificial sweeteners (like aspartame and high-fructose corn syrup), contaminants (like mercury) or preservatives (like sodium nitrate), that can cause health problems.
- Eating organic has the potential to lower the incidence of autism, learning disorders, diabetes, cancer, coronary heart disease, allergies, osteoporosis, migraines, dementia, and hyperactivity.
Organic Food Is Safer
- Organic food doesn't contain pesticides. More than 400 chemical pesticides are routinely used in conventional farming and residues remain on non-organic food even after washing. Children are especially vulnerable to pesticide exposure. One class of pesticides, endocrine disruptors, may be responsible for early puberty and breast cancer. Pesticides are linked to asthma and cancer.
- Organic food isn't genetically modified. Under organic standards, genetically modified (GM) crops and ingredients are prohibited.
- Organic animals aren't given drugs. Organic farming standards prohibit the use of antibiotics, growth hormones and genetically modified vaccines in farm animals. Hormone-laced beef and dairy consumption is correlated with increased rates of breast, testis and prostate cancers.
- Organic animals aren't fed slaughterhouse waste, blood, or manure. Eating organic reduces the risks of CJD, the human version of mad cow disease, as well as Alzheimer's.
- Organic animals aren't fed arsenic.
- Organic animals aren't fed byproducts of corn ethanol production (which increases the rate of E. coli contamination).
- Organic crops aren't fertilized with toxic sewage sludge or coal waste, or irrigated with E. coli contaminated sewage water.
- Organic food isn't irradiated. Cats fed a diet of irradiated food got multiple sclerosis within 3-4 months.
- Organic food contains less illness-inducing bacteria. Organic chicken is free of salmonella and has a reduced incidence of campylobacter.
- Organic dairy has environmental benefits: Shades of Green: Quantifying the Benefits of Organic Dairy Production
When comparing prices in the grocery aisles, the organic version of particular items is often 20% on the average more expensive, but if you make a pledge to eat more organic, you'll likely save money overall by eating out at restaurants less often, packing your lunch, and cooking from scratch. Learn more.
Essays on Organics
Approaching the Collapse: Don't Panic, Go Organic by Ronnie Cummins
Local and Organic Food and Farming: The Gold Standard by Will Allen, Ronnie Cummins & Kate Duesterberg
- 09/22/14 - Your Voice Is Needed to Keep Organic Strong
- 09/22/14 - March Today, Eat a Low-Carbon Diet Tomorrow
- 09/22/14 - FDA Plans to Revise Landmark Food Safety Law
- 09/22/14 - Letter to the Congressional Organic Caucus -Stop Attack on Organic Integrity
- 09/21/14 - USDA Maintains Pattern of Corporate Appointments
- 09/19/14 - What the Starbucks?! Day of Action, October 5
- 09/15/14 - What Big Food Does with 'Organic' and 'Natural'
- 09/15/14 - How to Make Farm-to-Table a Truly Sustainable Movement
- 09/15/14 - This Week's Newsletter: We'll Be There. Will You?
- 09/14/14 - Grass Fed Does Not Necessarily Mean Organic - Conscious Carnivores Look for Grass Fed and Organic
- 09/12/14 - The Drought Is Destroying California’s Organic Dairy Farms
- 09/12/14 - The Raw Milk Movement Calls for Less Food Regulations
- 09/12/14 - Why Whole Foods Is Losing the Organic Battle against Wal-Mart, but Winning the War
- 09/11/14 - How Industrial Ag is Making the Soil--and Us--Unhealthy
- 09/10/14 - Maine Farmers Are Going with the Odds – Odd Produce, That Is
- 09/10/14 - Five Myths of 'Safe' Pesticides
- 09/09/14 - General Mills Buys Annie's for $820M
- 09/08/14 - The Heirloom Event of the Year - Heirloom Seeds Are the Alternative to Monsanto's GMOs
- 09/07/14 - EU under Pressure to Allow GM Food Imports from US and Canada
- 09/07/14 - How Home Gardeners Can Change the Local Food System
- 09/07/14 - To Save Family Farms from Corporate Buyout, Retiring Farmers Connect with a New Generation
- 09/03/14 - What’s Holding Back the Organic Revolution?
- 09/03/14 - 15 Junk Foods Disguised as Health Food
- 09/01/14 - Do You Think Eating Hot Dogs Is Good for You?
- 09/01/14 - Coca-Cola and Its Egregious History
- 08/29/14 - The Couch Cleanse: Flame Retardants Are a Major Hazard
- 08/29/14 - New York Times Hosts Panel on Farming, Forgets to Invite Farmers
- 08/29/14 - Organic Center Launches Major Research Effort to Fight Citrus Greening
- 08/28/14 - Plant Breeder Works to Save Organic Corn From GMO Contamination
- 08/27/14 - More Crops per Drop: No-till Farming Combats Drought
- 08/27/14 - Q&A: Why Farmers Markets Are Growing in the American South
- 08/27/14 - Scientists Sniffing out the Western Allergy Epidemic
- 08/26/14 - Critic of Organic Agriculture Lacks Credibility
- 08/26/14 - Weed Blaster Shows Promise as Alternative to Herbicides
- 08/25/14 - Food as Medicine: How One Hospital Is Using Organic Produce to Help Heal Patients
- 08/25/14 - This Week's Newsletter: What's Holding Back the Organic Revolution?
- 08/20/14 - IFOAM Calls for Tea Industry to Safeguard Consumers’ Right to Safe Tea
- 08/19/14 - NOSB Voting Scorecard: Influence Peddlers Eroding Organic Standards
- 08/17/14 - New Poll: 45% of Americans Seek Out Organic Food
- 08/15/14 - USDA Clips Wings of Misleading Organic Marketers
- 08/13/14 - New Trade Organization Forms with Mission to Define What 'Natural' Means
- 08/12/14 - FDA Urges Tighter Rein on Hydrocodone Medication
- 08/10/14 - Cotton Trade: Where Does Your T-Shirt Grow?
- 08/10/14 - How to Create an Environment-Friendly Biodynamic Food System
- 08/08/14 - Forty-Five Percent of Americans Seek out Organic Foods
- 08/05/14 - OCA Urges Organic Dairy Industry to Sever Ties with IDFA
- 08/05/14 - Small Family Farmer Fights Back against Over-Reaching Government Forcing Her off Her Land
- 08/04/14 - Pesticides in Your Coffee?
- 08/01/14 - Slow Meat: 5 Eating Habits to Transform the Meat Industry
- 07/30/14 - New Analysis Concludes Organic Food Really is Healthier
- 07/30/14 - Bud and Miller Are Trying to Hijack Craft Beer-and It's Totally Backfiring
- 07/29/14 - EU Organic Farming on the Rise despite UK Government's GMOs Sympathy
- 07/29/14 - Entrepreneurs Will Disrupt the Future of Eating, Farming
- 07/28/14 - This Week's Newsletter: Who's Side Are They On?
- 07/28/14 - How to Save Loads of Money While Still Eating Organic, Non-GMO Foods
PDF About Organic Food
Educate yourself, family, and friends, with this new pamphlet about organic food created by the University of Minnesota.
Download the PDF here: What is Organic Food and Why Should I Care?
- Organic Directories
- Find Organic Food Stores
- Which Organic Milk Brands Are Best for the Environment and Animal Welfare?
- Confused About Organic Wine?
- Why You Need to Buy Organic Seeds
- Where to Buy Organic and Non-GE Seeds
- The Organic Center: Communicating the verifiable benefits of organic farming and products to society. Visit them here!
- Co-op Grocer Magazine's Online Guide to Starting a Food Co-op
- Good Growing: Why Organic Farming Works - University of Nebraska Press