Why We Should All Eat More Organic Food
- Organic foods, especially raw or non-processed, contain higher levels of beta carotene, vitamins C, D and E, health-promoting polyphenols, cancer-fighting antioxidants, flavonoids that help ward off heart disease, essential fatty acids, and essential minerals.
- On average, organic is 25% more nutritious in terms of vitamins and minerals than products derived from industrial agriculture. Since on the average, organic food's shelf price is only 20% higher than chemical food, this makes it actually cheaper, gram for gram, than chemical food, even ignoring the astronomical hidden costs (damage to health, climate, environment, and government subsidies) of industrial food production. Learn more...
- Levels of antioxidants in milk from organic cattle are between 50% and 80% higher than normal milk. Organic wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, onions and lettuce have between 20% and 40% more nutrients than non-organic foods. Learn more...
- Organic food contains qualitatively higher levels of essential minerals (such as calcium, magnesium, iron and chromium), that are severely depleted in chemical foods grown on pesticide and nitrate fertilizer-abused soil. UK and US government statistics indicate that levels of trace minerals in (non-organic) fruit and vegetables fell by up to 76% between 1940 and 1991.
Organic Food is Pure Food, Free of Chemical Additives
- Organic food doesn't contain food additives, flavor enhancers (like MSG), artificial sweeteners (like aspartame and high-fructose corn syrup), contaminants (like mercury) or preservatives (like sodium nitrate), that can cause health problems.
- Eating organic has the potential to lower the incidence of autism, learning disorders, diabetes, cancer, coronary heart disease, allergies, osteoporosis, migraines, dementia, and hyperactivity.
Organic Food Is Safer
- Organic food doesn't contain pesticides. More than 400 chemical pesticides are routinely used in conventional farming and residues remain on non-organic food even after washing. Children are especially vulnerable to pesticide exposure. One class of pesticides, endocrine disruptors, may be responsible for early puberty and breast cancer. Pesticides are linked to asthma and cancer.
- Organic food isn't genetically modified. Under organic standards, genetically modified (GM) crops and ingredients are prohibited.
- Organic animals aren't given drugs. Organic farming standards prohibit the use of antibiotics, growth hormones and genetically modified vaccines in farm animals. Hormone-laced beef and dairy consumption is correlated with increased rates of breast, testis and prostate cancers.
- Organic animals aren't fed slaughterhouse waste, blood, or manure. Eating organic reduces the risks of CJD, the human version of mad cow disease, as well as Alzheimer's.
- Organic animals aren't fed arsenic.
- Organic animals aren't fed byproducts of corn ethanol production (which increases the rate of E. coli contamination).
- Organic crops aren't fertilized with toxic sewage sludge or coal waste, or irrigated with E. coli contaminated sewage water.
- Organic food isn't irradiated. Cats fed a diet of irradiated food got multiple sclerosis within 3-4 months.
- Organic food contains less illness-inducing bacteria. Organic chicken is free of salmonella and has a reduced incidence of campylobacter.
- Organic dairy has environmental benefits: Shades of Green: Quantifying the Benefits of Organic Dairy Production
When comparing prices in the grocery aisles, the organic version of particular items is often 20% on the average more expensive, but if you make a pledge to eat more organic, you'll likely save money overall by eating out at restaurants less often, packing your lunch, and cooking from scratch. Learn more.
Essays on Organics
Approaching the Collapse: Don't Panic, Go Organic by Ronnie Cummins
Local and Organic Food and Farming: The Gold Standard by Will Allen, Ronnie Cummins & Kate Duesterberg
- 12/10/13 - WhiteWave Consumes Organic Salad-Greens Distributor Earthbound Farms
- 12/10/13 - More Helpful Fatty Acids Found in Organic Milk
- 12/09/13 - DEADLINE DECEMBER 16: Tell the USDA You Don’t Want a GMO Apple!
- 12/09/13 - Food Safety Act Sows Anger with Small Farmers
- 12/09/13 - The Surprising Healing Qualities ... Of Dirt
- 12/06/13 - Want More Vitamins, Healthy Omega-3s and Antioxidants? Go Organic!
- 12/06/13 - France Aims to Double Organic Farmland by 2017
- 12/06/13 - Why Grassfed Is Best
- 12/04/13 - Thanksgiving: Time to Reclaim Our Seat at the Table
- 12/04/13 - More Evidence Cinnamon Helps Control Blood Sugar
- 12/04/13 - The Health Benefits of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Other Favorite Holiday Spices
- 12/04/13 - What is Kale Good For?
- 12/03/13 - How Life Can Be so Much Sweeter after Ditching Junk Food
- 12/02/13 - Delicious Food Is Not an Indulgence-It's a Way to Solve Our Ecological Crises
- 11/29/13 - The Politics of Turkey - Farm Bill Call Yields No Progress - Senate Dairy Provisions Cheaper Than House Plan
- 11/27/13 - This Thanksgiving, Let's Celebrate AgriCULTURE Not AgriBUSINESS
- 11/26/13 - Coca-Cola Feeling the Heat after Secret Funding of Anti-Labeling Campaign
- 11/22/13 - Can a Fish Farm Be Organic? That's up for Debate
- 11/20/13 - For Your Health: Organic versus Non-Organic
- 11/18/13 - Women Lead the Way in Sustainable and Organic Agriculture
- 11/18/13 - Organic Doesn't Necessarily Mean Humane for Eggs, Meat, or Dairy
- 11/18/13 - Why Are "All Natural" Products Disappearing from Stores?
- 11/13/13 - 'All Natural' Labels Are Disappearing off Processed Foods
- 11/11/13 - Will Feds Bankrupt Small Farms with Food Safety Rules?
- 11/07/13 - Organic Sellout: USDA Guts Organic Rules to Protect Mega-Farms
- 11/07/13 - Report: Feminine Care Products Awash in Harmful Chemicals
- 11/06/13 - 4 Foods That Could Disappear If New Food Safety Rules Pass
- 11/06/13 - Too Poor for Organic? Raise the Minimum Wage
- 11/05/13 - How Dr. Bronner's Got All Lathered up about GMOs
- 10/30/13 - Company with a Conscience: Thank You Dr. Bronner’s!
- 10/29/13 - Hemp Returns to U.S. Soil After 56 Years -- and Magic Soap King Dr. Bronner's Is Ready to Buy
- 10/25/13 - Why Do Companies That "Fight" Breast Cancer with Pink Ribbons Use Known Carcinogens?
- 10/23/13 - Yes, Organic Can Cost More. Here Are 10 Reasons Why It's Worth It
- 10/22/13 - Scientists Say ‘No Consensus on GMO Food Safety’
- 10/19/13 - 8 Foods Even the Experts Won't Eat
- 10/16/13 - Why Food Should Be a Commons Not a Commodity
- 10/15/13 - Biochar: What It Is, Why It Matters
- 10/14/13 - Open Letter from Organic Leader Jim Riddle: Why I Am Resigning from the Organic Trade Association
- 10/14/13 - Small, Organic Farmers Say New Food Safety Rules Would Be Costly, Force Them to Change Methods
- 10/10/13 - Boycott Coca-Cola's Honest Tea
- 10/09/13 - Factory Farms :Taxpayers Pay, Politicians Take, Agribusiness Profits
- 10/09/13 - This Film About "fast Fashion" Will Change the Way You Look at Clothes
- 10/08/13 - Cotton in Our Food
- 10/04/13 - Why Most Grass-Fed Beef Sold in U.S. Comes from down Under
- 10/04/13 - Rebelling Against Massive Use of Pesticides, Brazilians Shift to Organic Foods
- 10/04/13 - The Myth of "Natural" Foods: Litigation Now Driving the Non-GMO Labeling Discussion
- 10/03/13 - Tell White Wave to Stop Supporting the GMA's War Against GMO Labeling!
- 10/02/13 - OCA Calls on White Wave Food Company to End Membership in the Grocery Manufacturers Association
- 10/01/13 - Top Right to Know Grocer Spotlight: Natural Grocery Company
- 10/01/13 - Famed Chef Alice Waters Leads the Foodie Fight Against Fracking
- 09/30/13 - 9 Amazing Health Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds
- 09/30/13 - Workers Set Factories Ablaze in Call for Decent Wage for Producing Globe's 'Cheap' Clothing
- 09/26/13 - Organic Consumers Opposes Warren-Udall Efforts on FDA Voluntary GMO Labeling
- 09/26/13 - California to Review Toxic Substances in Consumer Products
- 09/26/13 - A Tale of Two T-shirts, Green on a Budget
PDF About Organic Food
Educate yourself, family, and friends, with this new pamphlet about organic food created by the University of Minnesota.
Download the PDF here: What is Organic Food and Why Should I Care?
- Organic Directories
- Find Organic Food Stores
- Which Organic Milk Brands Are Best for the Environment and Animal Welfare?
- Confused About Organic Wine?
- Why You Need to Buy Organic Seeds
- Where to Buy Organic and Non-GE Seeds
- The Organic Center: Communicating the verifiable benefits of organic farming and products to society. Visit them here!
- Co-op Grocer Magazine's Online Guide to Starting a Food Co-op
- Good Growing: Why Organic Farming Works - University of Nebraska Press