Join OCA's Campaign to Save Raw Milk
OCA and Allies Fight Back Against FDA and
Food Inc.'s Attempt to Criminalize Raw Milk
Boston Raw Milk Drink In
Raw milk enthusiasts, dairy farmers, and a cow gathered at Boston Common on May 10, 2010for a "Raw Milk Drink-In" at the State House for a press conference in advance of a 10 am hearing at the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR).
The raw milk rally was organized to address MDAR attempts to restrict the delivery of raw milk to thousands of consumers throughout Massachusetts. Earlier this year, the MDAR issued a cease and desist order to four raw milk buying club drivers who were delivering the milk to customers to urban and suburban areas of the state.
From the Archives
Massachusetts Raw Milk Farms Threatened as State Moves to Make Buying Clubs Illegal
The State of Massachusetts is proposing new language to be added to the regulations that govern the sale of raw milk, which would make it illegal for consumers to entrust another individual to purchase milk from the farm for them. This is aimed at the buying clubs that have made raw milk available and accessible to hundreds of families over the years.
The purchases made through these clubs have been instrumental in helping to sustain dairy farms and these clubs have saved thousands of gallons of gas by essentially carpooling milk.
Contact Your Legislators!
Don't Let Massachusetts Ban
Raw Milk Buying Clubs
We are urging people to contact their legislators to express their opposition to this proposed change. (To see who your representatives are, see here.) Educate your senators and representatives with the following information:
- MDAR supports the sale of raw milk at the farm and regulates it to ensure its safety. There is no valid public health reason to distinguish between a person going to the farm to purchase milk for themselves, and having someone else bring it to them.
- Raw milk for sale at the farm must meet the exact same testing requirements for pasteurized milk sold in grocery stores, yet there are certainly no restrictions on buying pasteurized milk for others.
- These clubs have been in operation for years, some of them very publicly. MDAR has certainly known about them. During that time there have been absolutely no public health problems. That kind of success should be rewarded with an expansion of markets, not a reduction.
- The clubs do not sell or distribute milk - they do not maintain an inventory, mark up their product, or offer it for sale to the public. They are acting as agents of individual consumers who contract with the private club to provide a service.
- The proposed change is so broad that it would make it illegal to pick up a gallon of milk for your neighbor.
- Buying clubs save gas and the environment, just like carpooling.
- Buying clubs support the farmers, which means protecting jobs, preserving farmland and helping the economy.
No state in the nation has acted in this way to make milk buying clubs illegal. It is short-sighted and counter-productive on the part of Massachusetts officials to try to do so, as it will harm dairy farms and likely result in consumers purchasing milk from dairies that are not licensed to sell raw milk. Milk from these dairies is not tested by MDAR to ensure that it meets the standards for human consumption, and a regulation that would result in people drinking milk from these farms is unacceptable.
The proposed change would have negative effects on other farms and farm products as well, as the clubs often also purchase produce and other products from neighboring farms for their members. With milk being the main product for these clubs, if they are no longer allowed to purchase milk for their members they may well also stop buying other products.
Let's Legalize It
Raw Milk News
- 09/28/12 - Minnesota Farmer Cleared in Milk Case
- 08/30/12 - David v. Goliath: Raw Milk Producer Calls Settlement with the State a Win
- 08/29/12 - Plight of Wisconsin Farmer Has Implications for Raw Milk Access & Private Food Clubs
- 08/27/12 - Farmers Win Raw Milk Victory in Missouri
- 08/16/12 - Moms to Stage Civil Disobedience on Lemonade & Raw Milk Freedom Day
- 07/03/12 - Brave Minnesota Mother Risks going to Prison for Continuing to Facilitate Raw Milk Distribution
- 07/03/12 - Raw Deal: Maine Residents' Fight for Unregulated Food Draws Crackdown
- 05/25/12 - Freedom Watch: Not a Single Democrat Voted in Favor of Ending FDA Raids on Raw Milk Farmers
- 05/11/12 - Minnesota Moms Threatened with Criminal Charges for Distributing Fresh Food from Local Farms
- 04/15/12 - Watch This and You Will Never Drink Conventional Milk Again
- 04/11/12 - Judge Asked to Reconsider Dismissal of FDA Raw Milk Lawsuit
- 04/06/12 - Ruling in Federal Raw Milk Case May Bring Boost for Nebraska Producers
- 03/12/12 - While California Persecutes Raw Milk Farmers, France Unveils Raw Milk Vending Machines
- 03/07/12 - Profoundly Flawed Study Used as Basis for CDC's New Report on Supposed "Dangers" of Raw Milk
- 02/27/12 - Farmer Faces Possible 3-year Prison Term for Feeding Community
- 02/22/12 - CDC Cherry Picks Data to Make Case Against Raw Milk
- 02/16/12 - Organic Milk Low as Demand Up and Farmers Struggle
- 02/09/12 - While Government Discredits Raw Milk, it Keeps Names of Salmonella Outbreak Restaurants Secret to Protect Corporate Profits
- 02/02/12 - Kentucky Food Freedom Takes on Big Ag in S.B. 47
- 02/01/12 - Harvard Law School Food Law Society Hosting a Raw Milk Debate
- 01/14/12 - Raw Milk Update: Interview with Mark McAfee
- 01/13/12 - 10 Reasons Why even Democrats, Liberals and Progressives Are Choosing Ron Paul over Obama
- 12/27/11 - Indiana Sheriff Intervenes Against Feds in Raw Milk Case
- 12/19/11 - FDA Escalates War Against Amish Dairy Farmers
- 12/12/11 - Raw Milk Fight Is on From Amish Farms to Co-ops
- 11/17/11 - FDA Concedes Raw Milk Across State Lines OK for Personal Consumption
- 10/31/11 - 'Milk and Cookies' Could Get Moms Arrested
- 10/19/11 - Anti-Raw Milk Judge Quits the Bench to Work for Monsanto Law Firm
- 10/19/11 - Freedom Riders to Stage Demonstration at FDA Headquarters in Defense of Raw Milk
- 09/21/11 - Now Available: Complete Audio Archives of the 2011 Raw Milk Symposium
- 09/05/11 - Local Food Advocates Protest in Santa Cruz against Crackdown on Small Dairy Farms
- 08/22/11 - As Obama Pushes for Rural Jobs, His Regulators Obliterate Them
- 08/12/11 - Moms Rally to Defend Raw Food Club After Federal Raid
- 08/08/11 - Join the Social Media Revolt against Government Raids on Raw Milk
- 08/07/11 - Rawesome Foods Raided: A Sad Day for America
- 08/03/11 - Multi-Agency Armed Raid Hits Rawesome Foods
- 07/25/11 - El Dorado County Farmers Challenge Food Regulations
- 07/06/11 - Gov't Wants to Restrict Your Right to Drink Raw Milk
- 06/17/11 - Don't Ban Raw Milk Because of the E. Coli Outbreak
- 06/07/11 - Food Safety Chief Defends Raw Milk Raids
- 05/23/11 - Farmers vs. Feds: Raw-Milk Fight
- 05/02/11 - FDA Agents Launch Covert Ops Against D.C.-Area Raw-Milk Buying Club
- 04/19/11 - Action Alert: Texas Raw Milk and Local Foods Bills go to Hearing Wednesday
- 03/28/11 - Organic Dairy Farmer Francis Thicke Promotes House File 394, the Iowa Raw Milk Bill
- 03/25/11 - Maine Town Passes Local Food and Community Self-Governance Ordinance Becomes First in US to Declare Food Sovereignty
- 03/16/11 - Maine Towns Reject One-Size-Fits-All Regulation, Declare 'Food Sovereignty'
- 03/01/11 - The Evolution of the Revolution: Raw Milk Legislation in MN
- 02/25/11 - Several States Consider Loosening Raw Milk Restrictions as FDA Tries to Tighten Them
- 02/22/11 - Due to Threatened Legal Action by the Agency of Agriculture Rural Vermont Suspends Raw-Dairy Process
- 02/18/11 - FDA's Crackdown on Raw-Milk Cheese Based on Flawed Data Analysis
- 02/05/11 - Raw Milk Cheesemakers Fret Over Possible New Rules
- 01/28/11 - 3 Senators Propose Legalizing Sale of Raw Milk
- 12/21/10 - Will the New Food Safety Bill Affect Organic Foods?
- 12/15/10 - Time Magazine on Raw Milk Wars
- 12/08/10 - The FDA's Crackdown on Small Cheesemakers Fails to Turn up Many Bugs