Join OCA's Campaign to Save Raw Milk
New Studies Confirm that Raw Milk is Safe!
A new review of the scientific research on raw milk demonstrates that raw milk is, as we have claimed all along, a low-risk food. According to reviewer Nadine Ijaz, Msc, “while it is clear that there remains some appreciable risk of food-borne illness from raw milk consumption, public health bodies should now update their policies and informational materials to reflect the most high-quality evidence, which characterizes this risk as low.” We agree!So does Sally Fallon Morell of the Weston A. Price Foundation. She says, “ I look forward to productive discussion with the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Food and Drug Administration in light of this new scientific evidence.”
MINNESOTA: Tell Gov. Dayton to Protect Your Access to Healthy Raw Dairy Products!
Recent studies suggest that raw milk is a safe, low risk food. Yet the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) continues to threaten small dairy farmers that sell raw milk in our state.
Tell Governor Dayton and your state lawmakers to stop the MDA's harrassment of raw milk farmers in Minnesota!
Read More: Minnesota Farmer Alvin Schlangen found guilty on five criminal charges for violations of the state food and dairy code.
Raw Milk Nation
What are the laws about raw milk in your state? Click here for a state by state map from Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund.
Educate Your Legislators About Raw Milk and Food Buying Clubs
- Many states support the sale of raw milk at the farm. There is no valid public health reason to distinguish between a person going to the farm to purchase milk for themselves, and having someone else bring it to them.
- Buying clubs have been in operation for years, some of them very publicly. During that time there have been absolutely no public health problems. That kind of success should be rewarded with an expansion of markets, not a reduction.
- Buying clubs do not sell or distribute milk. Tthey do not maintain an inventory, mark up their product, or offer it for sale to the public. They are acting as agents of individual consumers who contract with the private club to provide a service.
- Buying clubs save gas and the environment, just like carpooling.
- Buying clubs support the farmers, which means protecting jobs, preserving farmland and helping the economy.
From the Archives
Dairy Farmer Acquitted on Three of Four Charges in Raw Milk Trial
Wisconsin Dairy Farmer, Vernon Herschberger, was acquitted on three of four criminal charges for selling raw milk. The only charge he was found guilty of was violating a hold order placed on his farm’s food products after a 2010 raid. Charges Herschberger was acquitted of include operating an unlicensed retail store that sold raw milk and other products; and operating a dairy farm and dairy processing facility without licenses.
Let's Legalize It
Raw Milk News
- 09/12/14 - The Raw Milk Movement Calls for Less Food Regulations
- 09/08/14 - Foodies Beware: The FDA Is after Your French Cheese
- 07/24/14 - Raw Versus Pasteurized Milk: Which Is Safer for You?
- 07/23/14 - Michigan Dept of Agri Forces Farmer to Dump 248 Gallons of Organic Milk and Break 1200 Free Range Eggs
- 05/27/14 - The Raw Milk Crackdown on the Most Peaceful among Us
- 05/20/14 - Raw Milk Might Have a Future in Canada but Questions Remain
- 04/30/14 - Two Federal 'Raw Milk Freedom' Bills Introduced
- 04/22/14 - Industry Is Hard at Work to Shut down Farm-to-Table Systems
- 04/10/14 - Illinois Legislators Honor Right of Consumers to Buy Farm Fresh Milk
- 04/02/14 - Raw Milk: What’s Happening in Your State?
- 03/31/14 - Raw Politics Drive Milk Wars
- 03/28/14 - Stanford Study on Raw Milk Digestibility: Conflicting Interpretations
- 03/12/14 - Europe Installs Raw Milk Vending Machines While U.S. Rules Unpasteurized Dairy Illegal
- 01/28/14 - Raw Milk Sales on the Rise -- No Illness Seen
- 12/03/13 - Advertising Ban in Raw Milk Being Challenged
- 11/12/13 - Kids Who Drink Raw Milk Have Fewer Asthma and Allergies
- 10/24/13 - Analysis of the Hidden Cost of the German Meat Industry
- 10/15/13 - Are the FDA and Canada Going to Ban Raw Milk Cheese?
- 10/07/13 - Get Ready for Extra Helpings of Feces, Pus and Chlorine on Your Plate — America Is Deregulating Its Meat Industry
- 10/04/13 - Constitutional Amendment Worries CAFO Opponents
- 10/02/13 - CAFOs and Superbugs
- 08/22/13 - Unrepentant MN Organic Farmer Convicted for Delivering Raw Milk, Fresh Meat and Eggs to Consumers
- 07/30/13 - Debate Rages on Over Agricultural Antibiotics Use
- 07/30/13 - Mississippi Basin Chemical Farms Create Dead Zone of 5,840 Miles Along Louisiana Coast
- 07/24/13 - World Fish Consumption Nearly Doubles Since the 1970s
- 07/16/13 - FTCLDF Appeals in Wisconsin Raw Milk Case
- 07/08/13 - Under Harassment, Michigan Heirloom Pig Farmer Asks Americans for Help
- 06/26/13 - Jurors Who Acquitted Raw Milk Organic Farmer in Wisconsin Speak Out in Support
- 06/16/13 - New Studies Confirm: Raw Milk is Safe
- 05/25/13 - Dairy Farmer Acquitted on Three of Four Charges in Raw Milk Trial
- 05/21/13 - Is Raw Grass-Fed Milk Safer Than Pasteurized?
- 04/22/13 - Small Farms Fight Back: Food and Community Self-Governance
- 04/20/13 - One Ag-Gag Bill is Dead in California, Another is Approved in Tennessee
- 04/04/13 - Flawed Government Report Thwarts State Raw Milk Initiatives
- 03/25/13 - Sedgwick, Maine is First Town to Declare Total Food Sovereignty, Opposing State and Federal Laws
- 03/21/13 - National Farmers Union Endorses Raw Milk
- 03/14/13 - Will You Still Allow the FDA to Control What You Eat?
- 02/10/13 - Victory! South Carolina Upholds Freedom of Residents to Buy, Sell Raw Milk
- 01/28/13 - Action Alert: Big Ag Group Trying to Ban Raw Milk Sales in South Carolina
- 09/28/12 - Minnesota Farmer Cleared in Milk Case
- 08/30/12 - David v. Goliath: Raw Milk Producer Calls Settlement with the State a Win
- 08/29/12 - Plight of Wisconsin Farmer Has Implications for Raw Milk Access & Private Food Clubs
- 08/27/12 - Farmers Win Raw Milk Victory in Missouri
- 08/16/12 - Moms to Stage Civil Disobedience on Lemonade & Raw Milk Freedom Day
- 07/03/12 - Brave Minnesota Mother Risks going to Prison for Continuing to Facilitate Raw Milk Distribution
- 07/03/12 - Raw Deal: Maine Residents' Fight for Unregulated Food Draws Crackdown
- 05/25/12 - Freedom Watch: Not a Single Democrat Voted in Favor of Ending FDA Raids on Raw Milk Farmers
- 05/11/12 - Minnesota Moms Threatened with Criminal Charges for Distributing Fresh Food from Local Farms
- 04/15/12 - Watch This and You Will Never Drink Conventional Milk Again
- 04/11/12 - Judge Asked to Reconsider Dismissal of FDA Raw Milk Lawsuit
- 04/06/12 - Ruling in Federal Raw Milk Case May Bring Boost for Nebraska Producers
- 03/12/12 - While California Persecutes Raw Milk Farmers, France Unveils Raw Milk Vending Machines
- 03/07/12 - Profoundly Flawed Study Used as Basis for CDC's New Report on Supposed "Dangers" of Raw Milk
- 02/27/12 - Farmer Faces Possible 3-year Prison Term for Feeding Community
- 02/22/12 - CDC Cherry Picks Data to Make Case Against Raw Milk