Si Se Puede at Beef Northwest
The Organic Consumers Association has suspended its Sweatshop 'Natural' Beef campaign pending successful proceedings at Beef Northwest.
The following is a joint statement from Beef Northwest and the UFW:
"Beef Northwest and the UFW are pleased to announce that we have reached a tentative agreement resolving our labor dispute. Our agreement is predicated on a mutually agreed upon process by which Beef Northwest employees will decide if they want union representation."
Beef Northwest, United Farm Workers reach agreement on election
by Richard Cockle, The Oregonian
Thursday November 06, 2008, 6:01 PM
A labor dispute was tentatively resolved Thursday between Beef Northwest, operators of three large northwest feedlots, and the California-based United Farm Workers Union, canceling a November 7-9 secret ballot election for feedlot workers.
The union announced that the tentative agreement was predicated on a mutually agreed-upon process by which 80 feedlot employees in Boardman, Nyssa and Quincy, Wash., would decide if they want union representation.
Country Natural Beef, a cooperative of 120 ranching families that "finish" about 47,000 cattle annually at the Boardman feedlot, had arranged for the secret ballet election today (editor: Friday, November 7), Saturday and Sunday.
The resolution of the labor dispute brought an end to plans for that election, said cattleman Stacy Davies , manager of the Roaring Springs Ranch near Frenchglen and a member of the cooperative.
Davies said the cooperative had no details on the settlement, "but we are hopeful that it represents the workers' desire. Our empathy has always been with the worker in this dispute."
Fair Trade Headlines
- 10/22/14 - McDonald’s May Sell More Organic Foods
- 10/21/14 - Fight for Raw Milk Heats up in Wisconsin and Illinois
- 10/20/14 - Big Soda Is Totally Freaking out about This Local Ordinance
- 10/16/14 - Female Restaurant Workers Protest Industry's Rampant Sexual Harassment and Demand One Fair Wage at 'Not on the Menu' Rally
- 10/14/14 - Chocolate Multinationals 'Enabling Enslavement' on Cocoa Farms: Oxfam
- 10/13/14 - This Week's Newsletter: You Wouldn't Think
- 10/09/14 - Letter from OCA's Ronnie Cummins to Starbucks CEO, Howard Schultz
- 10/08/14 - Wal-Mart Kills Health Insurance for Its Employees
- 10/07/14 - Activists Pushing Starbucks to Use Only Non-GMO, Organic Milk
- 10/07/14 - Froth over Organic Milk at Starbucks
- 10/06/14 - GMO Trouble Brewing at Starbucks
- 10/06/14 - Organic Milk May Send Your Starbucks Latte Bill Soaring
- 10/06/14 - This Week's Newsletter: URGENT: Phone a Friend!
- 10/01/14 - Made in the Shade: Six Reasons to Choose Organic, Shade-Grown, Fair Trade Coffee
- 10/01/14 - Starbucks Is Afraid Of Not Being Cool Anymore
- 09/28/14 - U2, Bono? Celeb Partners with Monsanto, G8, to Biowreck African Farms with GMOs
- 09/25/14 - Why I Kicked My Keurig to the Curb
- 09/23/14 - Planet Palm Oil: Peasants Pay the Price for Cheap Vegetable Oil
- 09/19/14 - What the Starbucks?! Day of Action, October 5
- 09/16/14 - Fast Food Franchise Owners Ask Congress for Help to Stop Worker Campaign for Wages, Union
- 09/15/14 - Community Struggles for the Defense of Their Territories
- 09/12/14 - To UN: Small Farms Key to Reversing Climate Change, Feeding World
- 09/10/14 - More Than 400 Arrested as Growing Fast-Food Workers’ Movement Strikes for Living Wage, Unionization
- 09/08/14 - Nathan Wold: How Much Did Jeff Johnson Know about Cargill's Use of Child Slave Labor?
- 09/04/14 - Tell the UN: Small Farmers Cool the Planet and Feed the World
- 09/04/14 - Can McDonalds Make History -- and Rescue Its Brand -- with Sustainable Food?
- 09/01/14 - $15 and Change: How Seattle Led the Country’s Wage Revolution
- 08/27/14 - 40 Percent of Restaurant Workers Live in near-Poverty
- 08/25/14 - On Behalf of Monsanto: GMO Food Crops for Ukraine’s Bread Basket
- 08/20/14 - The Overlooked Plight of Factory Farm Workers
- 08/10/14 - Cotton Trade: Where Does Your T-Shirt Grow?
- 08/08/14 - What Coffee Brand Is the Best in Terms of Sustainability and Justice?
- 08/04/14 - Pesticides in Your Coffee?
- 07/31/14 - Labor Board Delivers Victory for Low-Wage McDonald's Workers
- 07/24/14 - The Struggle for Justice for Banana Field Workers Sterilized by Dole Foods Pesticide Continues
- 07/18/14 - Border Children: 'They Don't Speak English, but They Understand Hate'
- 07/14/14 - Downturn in Shade-Grown Coffee Putting Forests, Wildlife, People at Risk
- 07/08/14 - Big Losses for Coca-Cola
- 07/08/14 - Phthalates Are out of Infants’ Toys but a Heavy Dose Is Still in Their Food
- 07/07/14 - The Pitchforks Are Coming… for Us Plutocrats
- 07/05/14 - The High Cost of Cheap Shrimp
- 06/20/14 - WikiLeaks Reveals Global Trade Deal Kept More Secret Than the Trans-Pacific Partnership
- 06/12/14 - Revealed: Asian Slave Labour Producing Prawns for Supermarkets in US, UK
- 06/11/14 - Killer Coke Campaign Moves Forward on Many Fronts
- 06/05/14 - Wal-Mart Attacked for Big Tax Breaks
- 06/05/14 - This Week's Newsletter: Five Reasons to Boycott Starbucks
- 06/05/14 - Tell Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz: Switch to Organic Milk!
- 06/04/14 - In Sign of 'New Economy' Rising, Vermont Bill Champions Worker-Owned Co-Ops
- 06/04/14 - People Power Gave Seattle Workers a Raise
- 06/04/14 - Fast Food Workers' Movement: Union 2.0
- 06/03/14 - Activist Organization Launches Fake 'Gap Does More' Campaign to Challenge the Company's Labor Practices
- 06/03/14 - Equitable Food Initiative Sets the Stage for Better Working Conditions on Large Farms
- 05/29/14 - Hungry for Land: Small Farmers Feed the World with Less Than a Quarter of All Farmland
- 05/29/14 - Trouble Brewing: Has Success Spoiled Green Mountain?
- 05/29/14 - Food's Big-Picture Guy