Si Se Puede at Beef Northwest
The Organic Consumers Association has suspended its Sweatshop 'Natural' Beef campaign pending successful proceedings at Beef Northwest.
The following is a joint statement from Beef Northwest and the UFW:
"Beef Northwest and the UFW are pleased to announce that we have reached a tentative agreement resolving our labor dispute. Our agreement is predicated on a mutually agreed upon process by which Beef Northwest employees will decide if they want union representation."
Beef Northwest, United Farm Workers reach agreement on election
by Richard Cockle, The Oregonian
Thursday November 06, 2008, 6:01 PM
A labor dispute was tentatively resolved Thursday between Beef Northwest, operators of three large northwest feedlots, and the California-based United Farm Workers Union, canceling a November 7-9 secret ballot election for feedlot workers.
The union announced that the tentative agreement was predicated on a mutually agreed-upon process by which 80 feedlot employees in Boardman, Nyssa and Quincy, Wash., would decide if they want union representation.
Country Natural Beef, a cooperative of 120 ranching families that "finish" about 47,000 cattle annually at the Boardman feedlot, had arranged for the secret ballet election today (editor: Friday, November 7), Saturday and Sunday.
The resolution of the labor dispute brought an end to plans for that election, said cattleman Stacy Davies , manager of the Roaring Springs Ranch near Frenchglen and a member of the cooperative.
Davies said the cooperative had no details on the settlement, "but we are hopeful that it represents the workers' desire. Our empathy has always been with the worker in this dispute."
Fair Trade Headlines
- 02/26/14 - BIG Palm Oil Players on the Move
- 02/25/14 - Here’s What Happened on Valentine’s Day!
- 02/24/14 - UN Report Says Small-Scale Organic Farming Only Way to Feed the World
- 02/14/14 - The Other NRA: National Restaurant Association Eviscerates Rights of Customers, Workers, and Children
- 02/13/14 - How California's 500-Year Drought Is Destroying the Lives of Farmworkers
- 02/13/14 - Bee Groups Buzz a Home Depot in Protest of Pesticide Sales
- 02/11/14 - Cut Flowers: A Major Source of Toxic Pesticides
- 02/10/14 - More Than a Half Million People Demand Home Depot and Lowe's Stop Selling Bee-Killing Pesticides
- 02/07/14 - A Fair Wage Can Pay off Lots of Ways
- 02/04/14 - Anti-Fast Track Mobilization to be Extended After More Than Half a Million People Take Action
- 02/04/14 - Chemical Cotton
- 01/31/14 - Don’t Let Congress ‘Fast-Track’ Dangerous Trade Deals
- 01/29/14 - New Poll Shows Voters Overwhelmingly Oppose Fast-Track
- 01/28/14 - Fair World: Exploring Fair Trade Apparel
- 01/28/14 - Fair Trade Is a Movement, Not a Market Niche
- 01/28/14 - State of the Union: President's Base Opposes Fast Track for TPP
- 01/27/14 - "Our Food Is Dishonestly Priced": Michael Pollan on the Food Movement's Next Goal of Justice for Food Workers
- 01/27/14 - Pressure to Raise Pathetic Minimum Wage Is on the Rise across the Land
- 01/23/14 - New Campaign Launched: '10 Days to Stop Fast Track' Brings Together Diverse Network of Labor, Internet, and Environmental Activists.
- 01/22/14 - Farm Bill--Food Stamp Debate Continues
- 01/22/14 - Farmworkers Win an Extra Penny from the Ultimate Penny Pincher, Walmart
- 01/06/14 - The Fight for $15: Campaign for Living Wage Readies National Push
- 12/30/13 - McDonald's Warns Its Own Employees Not to Eat "Unhealthy" Fast Food
- 12/20/13 - OCA, Teamsters, and Allies Slam UNFI & Whole Foods for Destroying NY Rural Area at Taxpayers' & Workers' Expense
- 12/16/13 - NAFTA at 20: State of the North American Worker
- 12/06/13 - Choice at the Supermarket Is a Mirage, New Analysis Finds
- 12/06/13 - Report: 'Fast Food CEOs Rake in Taxpayer-Subsidized Pay'
- 12/06/13 - How Fast Food Giants Use Loopholes to Avoid Taxes, Pay Execs Giant Pay, and the Workers Peanuts
- 12/04/13 - Thanksgiving: Time to Reclaim Our Seat at the Table
- 12/03/13 - From Rome, Five Essential Insights on Inequality
- 12/02/13 - 'Black Friday' Civil Disobedience Targets Walmart's Poverty Wages
- 11/27/13 - This Thanksgiving, Let's Celebrate AgriCULTURE Not AgriBUSINESS
- 11/26/13 - Campaign to Stop Killer Coke | Unhappiness with Coke Grows!
- 11/26/13 - Fair Food: Consumers and Florida Farmworkers Fight for Economic Justice
- 11/06/13 - Environmental Defense Fund Sells Green Cred to Walmart for the Low, Low Price of $66 Million
- 11/06/13 - 10 Corporations Control Almost Everything You Buy — This Chart Shows How
- 11/06/13 - This Transatlantic Trade Deal Is a Full-Frontal Assault on Democracy
- 11/06/13 - Too Poor for Organic? Raise the Minimum Wage
- 10/10/13 - Why Is It Taking McDonald's Until 2020 to Get More Nutritious Food in Stores?
- 10/09/13 - This Film About "fast Fashion" Will Change the Way You Look at Clothes
- 09/30/13 - American Workers: Hanging on by the Skin of Their Teeth
- 09/30/13 - Workers Set Factories Ablaze in Call for Decent Wage for Producing Globe's 'Cheap' Clothing
- 09/26/13 - A Tale of Two T-shirts, Green on a Budget
- 09/18/13 - Ecuador's Correa Calls for Chevron Boycott
- 09/04/13 - San Francisco to Chain Stores: Get Out!
- 08/30/13 - The Most Vulnerable Garner the Most Empathy
- 08/28/13 - The Other NRA: How the Insidiously Powerful Restaurant Lobby Makes Sure Fast-Food Workers Get Poverty Wages and Have to Work While Sick
- 08/23/13 - Walmart's Latest Scheme to Replace the Middle Class with an Underclass Forced to Buy Its Shoddy Goods
- 08/19/13 - Empire State of Mind: Sell-Out Celebrities, Black and White
- 08/15/13 - The Trans-Pacific Partnership Is Not About Free Trade. It's a Corporate Coup D'etat--against Us!
- 08/14/13 - OCA Asks FDA to Prohibit Use of the Word ‘Natural’ in Products Containing GMOs
- 08/12/13 - Way Beyond Greenwashing: Have Corporations Captured Big Conservation?
- 08/06/13 - Fair Trade Labels: Some Good News, a Challenge and a Call for Transparency
- 08/02/13 - Whole Foods Workers Launch 'Fight for 15' Higher Wage Campaign
- 08/01/13 - Farm Laborers Get a Foothold with Their Own Organic Farms