Si Se Puede at Beef Northwest
The Organic Consumers Association has suspended its Sweatshop 'Natural' Beef campaign pending successful proceedings at Beef Northwest.
The following is a joint statement from Beef Northwest and the UFW:
"Beef Northwest and the UFW are pleased to announce that we have reached a tentative agreement resolving our labor dispute. Our agreement is predicated on a mutually agreed upon process by which Beef Northwest employees will decide if they want union representation."
Beef Northwest, United Farm Workers reach agreement on election
by Richard Cockle, The Oregonian
Thursday November 06, 2008, 6:01 PM
A labor dispute was tentatively resolved Thursday between Beef Northwest, operators of three large northwest feedlots, and the California-based United Farm Workers Union, canceling a November 7-9 secret ballot election for feedlot workers.
The union announced that the tentative agreement was predicated on a mutually agreed-upon process by which 80 feedlot employees in Boardman, Nyssa and Quincy, Wash., would decide if they want union representation.
Country Natural Beef, a cooperative of 120 ranching families that "finish" about 47,000 cattle annually at the Boardman feedlot, had arranged for the secret ballet election today (editor: Friday, November 7), Saturday and Sunday.
The resolution of the labor dispute brought an end to plans for that election, said cattleman Stacy Davies , manager of the Roaring Springs Ranch near Frenchglen and a member of the cooperative.
Davies said the cooperative had no details on the settlement, "but we are hopeful that it represents the workers' desire. Our empathy has always been with the worker in this dispute."
Fair Trade Headlines
- 05/13/13 - Not Lovin' It: Moms and McDonalds Don't Mix
- 05/06/13 - UN Finds "Little Appreciation" for Human Rights Among US Businesses
- 04/23/13 - Fair World Project: Fair Trade USA Undermines Fair Trade Principles and Producers to Accommodate Products Such as Hershey’s “Greenwashed” Chocolate
- 04/12/13 - To Survive, Fast Food Will Have To Think Fresh
- 04/10/13 - Want to Get Americans Off Junk Food? Pay Them a Living Wage
- 04/05/13 - The Future of Chocolate
- 03/28/13 - Brooksville Becomes Ninth Maine Town to Defy State on Sales of Local Foods
- 03/28/13 - Walmart's Death Grip on Groceries Is Making Life Worse for Millions of People
- 03/19/13 - The True Cost of Food: Immigration and Agriculture Workers
- 03/16/13 - Restaurant Horror Show: How Servers Are Abused
- 03/12/13 - Fairness for Small Farmers: A Missing Ingredient in the U.S. Farm Bill
- 02/26/13 - Behind the Brands: Oxfam Reveals Global Food Firms' Gaping Ethical Shortfalls
- 02/24/13 - Scale Implosion - The End of Big Box Stores?
- 02/20/13 - Walmart's Big Push into Groceries is Not Good for Small Farmers
- 02/17/13 - Food Sovereignty: Think Globally, Eat Locally
- 02/14/13 - Demand Honest Fair Trade Labels!
- 02/10/13 - Victory for Fair Trade and Food Workers' Rights
- 02/10/13 - Harvesting Justice: Transforming the Global Food Supply Chain
- 02/04/13 - Walmart’s Big Push into Groceries is Not Good for Small Farmers
- 02/04/13 - Domestic Fair Trade: A Plea to UNFI and Whole Foods for Justice
- 01/31/13 - Care about Your Food? Then Care about Your Farmworkers Too
- 01/30/13 - The Most Addictive Infographic About Walmart's Greed We've Ever Seen
- 01/30/13 - Washington: Can You Help Hand Out Leaflets to Stop Whole Foods From Union Busting?
- 01/22/13 - Nursing Homes Serving Local, Sustainable Food
- 01/09/13 - Ethical Goods Sales Increase Despite Recession
- 12/31/12 - Food Co-Op's Support of Striking Workers to Cost UNFI $100,000
- 12/28/12 - The 7 Worst Things About McDonald's
- 12/13/12 - Why You Should Boycott Coca-Cola's So-Called Honest Tea
- 12/12/12 - Organic Consumers Association Calls for Boycott of Woodstock Foods
- 12/12/12 - Teamsters Warn UNFI Investors of Unsustainable Business Practice
- 12/05/12 - How Walmart is Devouring the Food System (Infographic)
- 12/04/12 - Foodies Get Wobbly
- 11/23/12 - Whole Foods: Don't Support Child Labor Chocolate Maker
- 11/21/12 - Anatomy of the Walmart Strike: Walking Out, One Day at a Time
- 11/20/12 - This Week's Newsletter: GMO Labeling Fight Moves to Washington State
- 11/19/12 - Breaking the Chains 2012 Holiday Action Guide
- 10/29/12 - Using Film to Square Up to the Horrors of Factory Farming
- 10/16/12 - Giant Walmart vs. the Small Farmer
- 10/15/12 - Walmart, the Most Powerful Company in the World, Admits that Protests and Strikes Lead to Wage Increases
- 10/14/12 - Meet the Crawfish-Peeling Guestworkers Who Inspired Walmart Walkouts
- 10/07/12 - Food MythBusters Take on Big Ag's Worst Lies
- 10/05/12 - Walmart Workers Strike at Stores Nationwide
- 10/05/12 - Food Justice Victory: Chipotle Signs Agreement With Coalition of Immokalee Workers
- 09/22/12 - Victory in Brooklyn Over Walmart
- 09/18/12 - National Advertising Review Board Determines that Fair Trade USA's "Fair Trade Certified" Labels Should Reveal Percentage of Fair Trade Content in Body Care Products
- 09/13/12 - Whole Foods Refuses to Hold Suppliers Accountable for Child Labor, Worker Rights Violations
- 08/31/12 - Challenging Big Labor to Fight for a Living Wage
- 08/27/12 - Robots Replacing Workers in the Food Industry
- 08/25/12 - A Critical Mass for Real Food: The Campus Food Revolution
- 08/24/12 - From Greenwashing to Workerwashing
- 08/09/12 - Can Whole Foods Coexist with the Homegrown Food Movement?
- 08/09/12 - A Critical Mass for Real Food
- 08/08/12 - Teach Us, Trader Joe: Demanding Socially Responsible Food
- 08/07/12 - Reputations Won and Lost as Food Giants Dance w. Non-Profits
- 08/06/12 - Why Chick-fil-A and Other Brands Aren't Being Bullied