Battle In Seattle
See the film!
Inspire 10 Friends to See the Film (and You Might Win Free Chocolate!)
Inspire Others to Take Action
In 1999 YOU helped Organic Consumers Association take a stand for organic food and farming, fair trade, and active democracy when we stopped the World Trade Organization (WTO) from meeting in Seattle.
Tens of thousands of ordinary people like us from around the world-union members, environmental activists, farmers, students, teachers, and nuns-gathered together in an extraordinary alliance to challenge the WTO in Seattle.
We have a historic opportunity THIS MONTH to rally together again to raise awareness of the WTO's failed, poverty-perpetuating and environmentally devastating policies - and how ordinary people can change everything.
The new feature film, "BATTLE IN SEATTLE," starring Andre Benjamin, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Rodriguez, Channing Tatum, and Charlize Theron showcases activists as heroes protecting people and the planet from destruction at the hands of callous corporations.
WE INVITE YOU TO STAND UP TO THE WTO AGAIN TODAY by taking the following steps as we organize around this epic cultural event:
1. SEE THE FILM. Take your friends, your loved ones, your co-workers, your neighbors, and remember what victory looks like for the global environmental and social movement. The film transports you to the heart of the action, and leaves you filled with hope about creating a more just world.
THE FIRST TWO WEEKS IN THE THEATERS ARE CRITICAL! If enough people see the film, it will expand into other cities around the country, bringing its important message to an even larger audience! Order tickets and invite your friends to join you. If the film is not playing in your area use the "DEMAND IT!" widget to bring it to your area.
2. INSPIRE 10 FRIENDS TO SEE THE FILM (AND YOU MIGHT WIN CHOCOLATE!!!). Organize your own outreach campaign by emailing, calling or texting 10 or more of your friends in any of the opening cities (even if you don't live in one, yourself!) and ask them to relive our collective victory against corporate tyranny. Five lucky activists who use this email tool will win a box of Fair Trade chocolate confections!
3. TAKE ACTION. Organic Consumers Association is part of the 5 ACTIONS CAMPAIGN that provides 5 impactful and empowering actions you can take to follow in the footsteps of the activists in Battle in Seattle. Visit www.5actions.com and click on the Fair Trade icon to participate in our Reverse Trick-or-Treating action. (DEADLINES to sign up: groups - Oct 1; individuals - Oct 13!)
4. INSPIRE OTHERS TO TAKE ACTION. Pass out action flyers at the film screenings so audiences who see the film know how they can simply and powerfully take action themselves. Visit this link for details on how to get involved. DEADLINE TO SIGN UP: SEPTEMBER 10.
The film opens September 19 in New York, San Francisco, San Rafael, Seattle, and Minneapolis and September 26 in Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, and Washington DC check the website for new cities being added!
ARE YOU ON FACEBOOK OR MYSPACE? Change your profile photo to the www.globalexchange.org/campaigns/fairtrade/cocoa/seebattleinseattle/bisposter.jpg! If thousands of us change our profile photos, it will have a huge visual impact on social networking sites and engage exponentially more people in the movement!
- 11/07/12 - Early Warning for Sandy: 1956 Prediction from Time Magazine
- 11/04/12 - Global Warming Systematically Caused Hurricane Sandy
- 11/04/12 - No More Stolen Elections: Calling Out the Left-Wing Election Rigging Denialists
- 11/04/12 - Which Political Leader Will Deal with "Weather on Steroids?"
- 11/04/12 - Pennsylvania Omitted Poison Data in Water Report
- 11/01/12 - Apocalypse Soon: Has Civilization Passed the Environmental Point of No Return?
- 10/31/12 - EU Lagging in Controls over Hazardous Chemicals: Activists
- 10/31/12 - Can Farms Bounce Back from Superstorms Like Sandy?
- 10/29/12 - Geoengineering - Testing the Waters
- 10/29/12 - Why 'Frankenstorm' Is Just Right for Hurricane Sandy
- 10/29/12 - Climate Change Feeds Hurricane Sandy
- 10/29/12 - Radicals Push Past Old-School Activism to Oppose Shale Drilling
- 10/29/12 - Why Hurricane Sandy Has Morphed into a 'Frankenstorm' -- And Why We Should Get Used to Catastrophic Weather
- 10/29/12 - Runoff from Iowa Farms Growing Concern in Gulf
- 10/26/12 - Monsanto Roundup-Ready Alfalfa Should Be Blocked, Court Told
- 10/25/12 - Canadian Government Continues to Choose Dirty Energy Over Democracy
- 10/24/12 - Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds: Food Movement Icons Bring Back Pioneer Chic
- 10/24/12 - In U.S. Building Industry, is it Too Easy to be Green?
- 10/23/12 - US Presidential Debates' Great Unmentionable: Climate Change
- 10/22/12 - 5 Weird and Frightening Effects of Fracking You May Not Know About
- 10/22/12 - Silence on Climate Change at the Debates
- 10/21/12 - Can the Local Food Movement Scale Up to Meet the Demand of Hospitals and Other Big Purchasers?
- 10/21/12 - America's Media Just Made Vote-Rigging Easier
- 10/21/12 - Fracking Poisoning Families at Alarming Rate
- 10/19/12 - Communities Take Food Justice Into Their Own Hands, One Plot at a Time
- 10/19/12 - Victory! Road to New Biotech Development in Florida Stopped
- 10/19/12 - Why Scientists Are in Alarm Mode Over the Keystone XL Pipeline
- 10/17/12 - The Sound of Climate Silence: Romney and Obama Spar Over Who Wants to Drill For More Fossil Fuels During Debate
- 10/17/12 - Organizations Push for Global Ban on Genetically Modified Trees
- 10/17/12 - Some GMO Cheerleaders Also Deny Climate Change
- 10/17/12 - Food Crisis Summit: Governments Should Scrap Biofuels, Not Push GM Crops
- 10/16/12 - Bill McKibben Nails it on Bill Maher Show - Plus Tuesday-Afternoon Quarterbacking
- 10/16/12 - Growing Up, Growing Food: A Teenage Farmer to Watch
- 10/15/12 - How 'Scientific Poisoners' Threaten the Future of Life on Planet Earth
- 10/15/12 - Urban Releaf: How One Community Group Is Saving Urban Neighborhoods and Creating Jobs While Sequestering CO2
- 10/14/12 - Food Scarcity: The Timebomb Setting Nation Against Nation
- 10/14/12 - Only Organics Can Feed the Hungry World: Here's Why
- 10/13/12 - Big Win: Walt Disney Company Agrees to Major Deal That Will Help Stop Rainforest Destruction
- 10/12/12 - Penn. Governor Greenlights Fracking on College Campuses
- 10/12/12 - Tribes Add Powerful Voice Against Northwest Coal Plan
- 10/11/12 - How No-Flush Toilets Can Help Make a Healthier World
- 10/11/12 - As Eleven Nations Pledge Support, Robin Hood Tax Gains Foothold in Europe
- 10/11/12 - New England Tar Sands Pipeline Plotted 'Behind Closed Doors'
- 10/11/12 - New Study: Why Glyphosate Should be Banned
- 10/09/12 - GM Trees - A Fast Growing Field But with Little Information or Regulation, Says Report
- 10/09/12 - GM Crops Destroyed by US Drought but Non-GM Varieties Flourish
- 10/08/12 - Interview: Climate Crisis Writer and Activist Bill McKibben
- 10/07/12 - Climate Change Is Bad News for California Children with Asthma
- 10/07/12 - Coal-Fired Australia, Buffeted by Climate Change, Enacts Carbon Tax
- 10/03/12 - In San Francisco, a secret project bears fruit
- 10/03/12 - Pam Warhurst: How we can eat our landscapes
- 10/03/12 - How Fracking Is a Danger to Your Health
- 10/03/12 - Yellow Springs, Ohio Bans Fracking
- 10/02/12 - Study: Pesticide use Ramping Up as GMO Crop Technology Backfires
- 10/02/12 - A Growing Movement for Community-Supported Fisheries