| Campaigns |
GE Food | Organics
| Food Locator
| Events | Irradiation
| Cloning | rBGH
Mad Cow | Toxic Food | Search | Newsletter | Donate | Volunteer | About | Home | recommend site | email this page
Ways to Stop Corporate
Commercialization of Our Schools
Commercial Alert <www.commercialalert.com>
Ten Steps to Expel Commercialism from Schools in Your Neighborhood and State
1. Learn the arguments against advertising and marketing to children in
school. See Commercial Alert¹s website at <http://www.commercialalert.org>
2. Focus your efforts on the worst forms of commercialism in the schools:
Channel One, Coke, Pepsi, and fast food corporations such as McDonald¹s,
Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Domino¹s, KFC and Arby¹s.
3. Talk to people in your community about the problem. Identify those who
agree with you. Build a coalition of parents, grandparents, teachers, school
employees, health professionals, doctors, pediatricians, dentists,
psychologists and others who oppose the presence of advertising, marketing
and commercialism in the schools.
4. Write a letter to the members of your local school board, asking them to
eject whatever forms of commercialism exist in your local schools. Convince
everyone in your anti-commercialism coalition to sign it. Send a copy of the
letter to your local newspapers, radio and television stations. Call
Commercial Alert at 503.235.8012 or email <email@example.com> to ask
for advice if you need it.
5. Ask the members of your local anti-commercialism coalition to call your
local school board members in opposition to whatever forms of advertising,
marketing and commercialism are in your local schools.
6. Bring some of your supporters to meet with the members of your local
school board. Lobby your local school board members to get rid of the
commercialism in your local schools.
7. Meet with your state legislators and ask them to introduce and support
state legislation to expel commercialism from your state¹s schools. To find
out the names and contact information of your state legislators, go to
Project Vote Smart¹s website at <http://www.vote-smart.org/index.phtml>.
Call Commercial Alert if you need assistance in drafting the legislation.
8. Work with the news media. Write letters to the editor of your local
newspapers in opposition to commercialism in the schools. Write an op-ed and
ask your local newspapers to print it. Ask your local newspapers¹ editorial
boards to run an editorial in opposition to commercialism in the schools.
Stay in touch with your local education reporters. Call them up and tell
them what you¹re doing.
9. Keep the pressure on your local school board members and state
legislators until you win.
10. If you have questions about getting rid of advertising, marketing or
commercialism from your local schools or all the schools your state, call
Commercial Alert at 503.235.8012 or email <firstname.lastname@example.org>. We¹re
here to help you, so don¹t hesitate to call.