Si Se Puede at Beef Northwest
The Organic Consumers Association has suspended its Sweatshop 'Natural' Beef campaign pending successful proceedings at Beef Northwest.
The following is a joint statement from Beef Northwest and the UFW:
"Beef Northwest and the UFW are pleased to announce that we have reached a tentative agreement resolving our labor dispute. Our agreement is predicated on a mutually agreed upon process by which Beef Northwest employees will decide if they want union representation."
Beef Northwest, United Farm Workers reach agreement on election
by Richard Cockle, The Oregonian
Thursday November 06, 2008, 6:01 PM
A labor dispute was tentatively resolved Thursday between Beef Northwest, operators of three large northwest feedlots, and the California-based United Farm Workers Union, canceling a November 7-9 secret ballot election for feedlot workers.
The union announced that the tentative agreement was predicated on a mutually agreed-upon process by which 80 feedlot employees in Boardman, Nyssa and Quincy, Wash., would decide if they want union representation.
Country Natural Beef, a cooperative of 120 ranching families that "finish" about 47,000 cattle annually at the Boardman feedlot, had arranged for the secret ballet election today (editor: Friday, November 7), Saturday and Sunday.
The resolution of the labor dispute brought an end to plans for that election, said cattleman Stacy Davies , manager of the Roaring Springs Ranch near Frenchglen and a member of the cooperative.
Davies said the cooperative had no details on the settlement, "but we are hopeful that it represents the workers' desire. Our empathy has always been with the worker in this dispute."
Fair Trade Headlines
- 10/29/12 - Using Film to Square Up to the Horrors of Factory Farming
- 10/16/12 - Giant Walmart vs. the Small Farmer
- 10/15/12 - Walmart, the Most Powerful Company in the World, Admits that Protests and Strikes Lead to Wage Increases
- 10/14/12 - Meet the Crawfish-Peeling Guestworkers Who Inspired Walmart Walkouts
- 10/07/12 - Food MythBusters Take on Big Ag's Worst Lies
- 10/05/12 - Walmart Workers Strike at Stores Nationwide
- 10/05/12 - Food Justice Victory: Chipotle Signs Agreement With Coalition of Immokalee Workers
- 09/22/12 - Victory in Brooklyn Over Walmart
- 09/18/12 - National Advertising Review Board Determines that Fair Trade USA's "Fair Trade Certified" Labels Should Reveal Percentage of Fair Trade Content in Body Care Products
- 09/13/12 - Whole Foods Refuses to Hold Suppliers Accountable for Child Labor, Worker Rights Violations
- 08/31/12 - Challenging Big Labor to Fight for a Living Wage
- 08/27/12 - Robots Replacing Workers in the Food Industry
- 08/25/12 - A Critical Mass for Real Food: The Campus Food Revolution
- 08/24/12 - From Greenwashing to Workerwashing
- 08/09/12 - Can Whole Foods Coexist with the Homegrown Food Movement?
- 08/09/12 - A Critical Mass for Real Food
- 08/08/12 - Teach Us, Trader Joe: Demanding Socially Responsible Food
- 08/07/12 - Reputations Won and Lost as Food Giants Dance w. Non-Profits
- 08/06/12 - Why Chick-fil-A and Other Brands Aren't Being Bullied
- 08/06/12 - Monsanto's New Sweet Corn Adds to Debate on Genetically Modified Foods
- 08/04/12 - US Farmers Markets Surge: USDA
- 08/04/12 - Child Labor: Small Hands Legally Picking our Food
- 07/30/12 - Monsanto Defrauded GM Corn Field Workers, Lawsuit Claims
- 07/29/12 - Online Marketplace Set to Launch Local Food Vendors into the Mainstream
- 07/23/12 - Pushing for a Sweatshop-Free Olympics
- 07/21/12 - Deporting the Hand That Feeds Us: How Anti-Immigrant Laws Are Causing a Farm Labor Shortage
- 07/18/12 - CAFO Animal Cruelty: Costco Becomes Latest Retailer to Turn Against Cramped Crates for Pregnant Sows
- 07/10/12 - Beyond Red Lists: The Power of Community-Supported Fisheries
- 07/06/12 - 6 Bogus Economic Arguments Used to Trash Local Food
- 06/25/12 - Farmworkers Plagued by Pesticides, Red Tape
- 06/22/12 - Most Wanted
- 06/20/12 - Which Baby Foods Contain the Most Pesticide Residue?
- 06/19/12 - How to Tell if Your Favorite Companies Are Truly Progressive or Secretly Selling Out
- 06/13/12 - Eating Our Way to a Better World? A Plea to Local, Fair-Trade, and Organic Food Enthusiasts
- 06/04/12 - Researchers Find Evidence of Banned Antibiotics in Poultry Products
- 06/01/12 - Why Are Twinkies Cheaper Than Carrots?
- 05/31/12 - Fair Trade Purists Cry Foul at Including Big Farms
- 05/30/12 - "Magic Soap" Maker David Bronner on Labeling Genetically Modified Food, Fair Trade, the War on Hemp
- 05/23/12 - Obama Leaves Monsanto in Charge of Ending Hunger in Africa
- 05/23/12 - The 10 Major Corporations that Control Everything You Buy
- 05/15/12 - Another Way to "Kill" Small US Farmers
- 05/14/12 - Vandana Shiva: Traditional Knowledge, Biodiversity and Sustainable Living
- 05/12/12 - Can Beer Save America?
- 05/10/12 - Walmart Heirs Quietly Fund Walmart's Environmental Allies
- 05/10/12 - Thousands More Farmers Markets Will Soon Take Food Stamps
- 05/07/12 - Locavore Brew: Tapping into Beer's Agricultural Roots
- 05/05/12 - Agriculture Cooperatives Could End Hunger while Boosting Socio-Economic Development in Impoverished Regions
- 05/02/12 - Walmart: "Always Low Morals"
- 04/30/12 - These 10 Companies Control Enormous Number Of Consumer Brands [GRAPHIC]
- 04/27/12 - After Uproar, Dept of Labor Withdraws Proposal That Would Have Made It Illegal for Farm KIds to Work on Family Farms
- 04/26/12 - Burger King Makes a Big Pledge - But What's 'Cage-Free Pork'?
- 04/25/12 - Fair Trade USA's Coffee Policy Comes Under Fire
- 04/20/12 - Greenwashing Walmart
- 04/18/12 - Top 10 Ways Walmart Fails on Sustainability
- 04/03/12 - Why Our Laws Need to Catch up to the Local Food Revolution